Default Engine replacement: matching numbers?

Hi everybody, unfortunately I have to replace the engine on my 2006 XC70. My engine is a 185hp D5244T, the part number is 6901574 (car built feb 2006), I've been told, by two different Volvo authorized dealers, that if I want to replace the engine I MUST find one with that exact same part number, or else it most probably would not fit (due to electonics incompatibility). Has anybody any idea if this is correct, or if I may replace it with any D5244T coming from any XC70 up to 2007?
    I thank anyone who can give me some help!
    Desperate Trito

I don't think anyone here can answer that, no Diesels in the US or Canada
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

As JRL said we don't get the diesel Volvo's over here.
    Bear in mind also I know nothing how the engines are set up for operating systems (electronics, as you mentioned, would be the best description) over your way but my thinking is that it you get an engine from the same or nearly the same year and model you should be OK.
    Manufactures like to do things as inexpensively and the same for components like engines and transmissions as they can. So for something like your engine will be produced over X number of years will a minimum of changes to the basic engine. The bolt ons like intakes, exhaust, sensors, can change year to year but the holes that they go on tend not to. So if you get the same basic engine, IE the model designation, you should be able to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trito View Post
    Hi everybody, unfortunately I have to replace the engine on my 2006 XC70. My engine is a 185hp D5244T, the part number is 6901574 (car built feb 2006), I've been told, by two different Volvo authorized dealers, that if I want to replace the engine I MUST find one with that exact same part number, or else it most probably would not fit (due to electonics incompatibility).
    Here's the list of Wikipedia D5 engines. There are a lot of them. While there's no physical reason why any engine can't work with your car, software compatibility is something only a VIDA authorized retailer (e.g. dealer) can tell you about. At least figure out which model your engine is, from your hp figure it seems you have a D5244T4, but that may be your part number.