Default more and slightly different prop shaft probs

I have a 2000 volvo V 70 XC all wheel drive and had a terrible noise coming from under it. Removed propeller shaft and noise stopped however still have an annoying grinding metal sound coming from under it ....removed conical shape spline connector (not sure about correct terminology lol)....now I have a shaft sticking out of the back of my transmission that is loose and grinding against the gears it has a whole lot of play in it but I can't seem to get out of the transmission housing .....any good ideas on how to do this? I'm now attempting to pull the bevel gear in order to get to it but I don't think that is going to workas I have seen pictures and don't look like I can get inside the transmission like this ....also what is a good way to seal up the hole after I removed the spline d(it appears in some diagrams I've seen but I cannot locate one at this point )any assistance would be appreciated!! the date of manufacture is February of 2000 and I've had many problems getting the correct part at the parts store even though it's definitely a 2000 ...where they're two different transmission set ups or something for a 2000?for instance when getting brake pads I have to buy them for a 2001 and they do not match the 98 Volvo v70 all wheel drive R that I have....thanks

Confused in ohio

From what it sounds like you have damaged pinion bearings (and gears) in your angle drive. Some people may call it a transfer case. The "conical spline connector" is the output or pinion flange on the angle drive. If you've seen diagrams, you know to remove the right axle, then the 5? bolts holding the angle gear to the trans to facilitate it's removal. The other "spline" or sleeve you are refering to is between the trans and the angle drive and used to transmit power to the rear wheels. Many people have simply removed their angle drive, put the rf axle back in and drive happily away. You have to deal with the sleeve sticking out of the transmission before you happily drive away though. You are in luck if as unsual it is stuck inside the transmission. If not, a common solution (putting on the flamesuit now) is to get everything clean and grease free and carefully jb weld the inside of the sleeve to the trans. You now have a front wheel drive car. New angle gears are expensive, usually a couple of grand, and only one from a 2000 will fit if you are looking for a used unit.
    Your brake pads - I thought all 850's and SVC and XC70's used the same front pads from 1993 to 2000 (2004 on the c70). The 2001 - v70/s60/xc70 front pads are visibly different than the 850's in that 2 of the pads (the inner ones) have a spring clip on the back of the pads that holds them into the bore of the caliper piston. The 850 pads are all flat on the back.
    Last edited by hoonk; 08-05-2013 at 08:39 AM.