Default Tires for my 2007 xc70AWD

I apparently have 2 different tires on my vehicle at this time:2 harmony solus mich. and 2 kumhos... while plugging one of them the tire place was adamant that having different tires was especially not good for the AWD . ..... they recc.4 Mich . "defenders" . Must all tires be the same? and are the mich defenders ok for the 2007 xc70? and is it true that different ones will cause a very expensive prob , on may levels. thanks !

AWD system likes same size tires. If not same size between front and rear, the axles will spin at different rate and put pressure on the box between front and rear tires that trys to run them at the same speed. On 03-07, this box is haldex. Perhaps others can chime in how tolerant haldex is to tire size or wear differences.

I believe the key is same size tire with same wear level. This is why even with same tires, you want to follow a good rotation schedule (5k miles) to keep even wear. I don't know that same "brand/model" of tire is so critical as long as you can keep the wear even.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Interestingly, my '07 manual specifically recommends *against* rotating the tires, for a bunch of reasons that don't make much sense to me. The car gets 4 16" snow tires in the winter and the OEM 17" tires in the summer. I always measure the tread and install the tires with most tread on the front to keep tread wear as even as possible. Note that this goes against the recommendations of most tire shops who will want to install tires with more tread on the rear - but they are talking about *new* tires (large difference in tread depth) vs worn ones (slight difference in tread depth).

At 72,000km the original tires still have plenty of tread, as do the winter tires. They will all get replaced soon just because of age, not because they are worn out.

rotating tires is fine. Different size tires on an AWD car is a big no-no. You won't experience any problems for a long time, but the difference in the rolling radius will put unwanted stress on the drivetrain. You'd eventually experience some preventable ware, damage, and/or potential drivetrain failure.

Why not just put the same manufacturer of tires on the same axle but swap the sides? i.e. right rear to left front, etc. Like a normal cross-rotation and your problem is solved. AWD on these are part time anyway so it's not like "omg the tires will burn out the box in 1K mi." If you lose enough traction for this very very lenient AWD system to kick on, chances are you'll have different rates of rotation between the axles due to available traction anyway.
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Volvoholic View Post
    Why not just put the same manufacturer of tires on the same axle but swap the sides? i.e. right rear to left front, etc. Like a normal cross-rotation and your problem is solved.
    Good God...
    NO!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Good God...
    NO!
    Hahahaha! I always run same size/model/manufacturer on all 4 corners so I don't know anything about running multiple manufacturers.
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...