Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy 04 xc70. Issues so far since buying on july 3rd.

Noted an oil leak. found possible source to be the oil return from the turbo, haven't gotten it on a lift to verify.

right axle slinging grease from outer boot. probably OEM as it clicks once from D to R or from R to D.

Transmission fluid is dark. causing harsh shifting from 1-2-3 and 3-2-1.

Tonight a coil pack failed. When I removed it i noted abnormal but not excessive corrosion on the plug top. misfire followed the coil so I drove it home (19 miles) with the injector unplugged. going to call tomorrow to check if any auto part stores have it in stock. another note to add, I started the car on my lunch break and ran it for about 10 mins while I ate. It ran fine and drove normal when I moved it across the lot to a spot closer to the door. it ran fine for about a minute, two hours later when I was about to leave. I reached for my phone and i felt it miss once, then again then it just went constant at idle and cleared under revs. then it just quit firing when I pulled into a gas station. I guess that's how they go out.

Something else to add, I opened the oil cap while it was running and it was pushing the normal oil smoke out of the cover rather than it just sitting there. like there is some positive pressure in the crank case. could that cause the oil leak? is the positive pressure normal or is it just as a result of it being a turbo?

sorry for the long post thanks for reading.

TL;DR. I've found a few problems with my car. just looking for an opinion as to if it's common.

At a minimum from the positive crankcase pressure it appears you have a clogged PCV system. Repairing that is not as simple as it sounds. Check out the following from the "How To" section:

http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/h...EPLACEMENT.pdf
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Your mileage here would help with a post like this
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

My bad. It had just hit exactly 148k miles when I started it last night.. and that is an expensive fix just to have it unclogged. I'm not exactly sitting on any money at the moment as I've got to replace a coil today at the least and possibly all 5 plugs later this week. I'll know today when I pull them.. thanks for the help I will update later.

On average the breather system needs to be replaced every 100K or so, it's normal maintenance for this engine.
    At 113K on our 2000 V70R (which had had 4000 mile oil changes WITH SYNTHETIC since 20K miles) it was "OK" but still needed the main nipple replaced.
    I've had a breather on a Volvo with only 55K miles that was completely clogged. This was a car that missed only one oil change!
    At 148K I can tell you that yours is 100% blocked .... no matter what oil was used and how the car was driven, this is causing you a lot of $$$ damage.

My 2007 that I bought with 110K miles and had EVERY SINGLE 7500 Mi. SERVICE done yet the breather was clogged at 110K miles because of using dino oil and a lot of city driving (stop and go, not much high speed driving which is good for these engines)!
    Last edited by JRL; 07-23-2013 at 09:19 AM.

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

is there a way to relieve the pressure until I can get the parts? what damage could this cause, I don't know how long it's been blocked or what's been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by IMSITTINGINYOURCHAIR View Post
    is there a way to relieve the pressure until I can get the parts? what damage could this cause, I don't know how long it's been blocked or what's been replaced.
    You can always remove your oil fill cap... could get messy though and you'll need to keep a constant eye on oil level.
    2003 XC70 fuzzy dice mod

What damage?
    Oh, let's see
    When the breather is clogged the oil needs a place to go so it pushes out wherever it can go...REAR MAIN SEAL ($1000)! Cam seals, $250-$800 depending on how many get blown out)
    Oil gets on top of the engine and if not stopped runs into the plugs so; fouled plugs, car finally stops running
    This is just for starters.

When you buy an old car and a car with 140K plus miles, ANY older car, this is VERY old.
    The least you need to do is have it checked out before you buy and since and if you already made that mistake you have it checked out right after you buy by a competent Volvo mechanic (or a mechanic that specializes in that brand.

What you DON'T do is just start driving it not knowing what you have underneath you!

Pull the dip stick up a bit, that should relieve some of the pressure. I did that on my V70 until I got the pcv fixed.
    2006 XC70
    2014 Mercedes E350
    1996 Corvette CE LT-4 Convertible
    2005 S40
    2007 C30 T5 6speed
    past Volvos: '09 C30 5speed, '99 S70, '99 S70 5speed, '98 V70SE, '04 XC70, '01 V70, '02 V70AWD, '97 855, '90 740 TurboWagon, '90 740 16VWagon, '89 780 Turbo+, '86 760 Turbo+, '82 240 GLE

Thank you all for the advice, JRL, I should've looked it over better, but live and learn I guess. So far there isn't anything fatal showing up so it looks like I get to learn more about my xc70. thank you for letting me know about the pcv system. maybe I can get that fixed soon but as of right now I will just pull the dip stick to vent it as I need to flush the transmission to cure the hard shift.. then I will take care of that. as far as it blowing oil through the seals, maybe that's where the oil leak I have is coming from now. (turbo return line or oil pan gasket.)

UPDATE: Pulled the dipstick out a little. It seems to be venting the pressure fine, going to check the oil level in the morning and top up if necessary, then monitor it there after. Maybe this will last until I get the parts and tools I need to fix it. (all I lack tool wise are the swivel joints and extensions. )
    Last edited by IMSITTINGINYOURCHAIR; 07-23-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast