Thread: H11 bulb gasket

Default H11 bulb gasket

I replaced my passenger side low beams today on my '05. I took the rubber gasket off the bulb in order to get it in position and locked into place. I think last year when I did the driver's side I did the same... Hasn't had any moisture issues. Since there's already a rubber cap sealing off the bulb area, how necessary is that rubber gasket? It is about 580% easier to get the &$*@#! bulb in without that damn gasket.
    Toby
    2008 S80 T6 AWD Black Stone / Anthracite Black 85k miles
    2008 XC90 V8 Ember Black / Offblack 100k miles
    SOLD: 2005 XC70 Lava Sand / Taupe 176k miles
    Sammamish, Washington

Pictures?
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

I removed the round red rubber piece that helps seal the bulb as seen in this image:

Toby
    Sammamish, Washington

Isn't that there to prevent dust and moisture from getting on the inside of the of the lens and reflector?

Yes. I'm asking how necessary it is since we also have the rubber cap sealing off the bulb area. The "cover" on page 177: http://esd.volvocars.com/site/owners..._EN_tp8170.pdf

And also since I did the same to the driver's side the same way over a year ago without a problem on that side.
    Toby
    Sammamish, Washington

Sir,

The bulb is a universal design used in many vehicles. Other vehicles do not have this second gasket, but have the bulb exposed in the rear.

However, you did not get any water in one year but it doesn't mean you will not. Maybe you drive through a puddle and get water in your light, or you pressure wash your engine or car and get it past the seal. I know alot of people lose those rubber caps or the rubber caps become brittle and crack.

So, I know I am not giving an unequivocal answer, but this is the best I have. Hope this was of value.
    2013 XC70 T6, Premier Plus, BLIS Black/Black 18K miles, stock
    2004 XC70 Premium, Convenience, Climate Blue/Tan 122K miles, 2007+ ABL lights, IPD sways F & R, TME exhaust, SS brake lines, R Brembo calipers & rotors, Akebono ceramic pads F & R (replaced PCV, power steering rack, struts and springs, end links, ball joints, A-arms, all fluids)

Well damn it, I shouldn't have said anything. Now just a couple days after I put in the new passenger side bulb it died again.
    Toby
    Sammamish, Washington

My guess is the gasket seals out water and dust, etc., and also dampens shock to the bulb's filament. I replaced both bulbs in my '07, and by mistake on one of them left the original gasket in the socket, and the new bulb could not secured. Thankfully I figured that out quickly.
    Bill
    SE Virginia
    '07 XC70 Lava Sand, Premium, Climate & Convenience
    '98 S70 Base NA