Default '03 all wheel drive pump question

Howdy Folks! I am a long time Volvo wagon owner, and I am buying an '03 on Monday. It will be my 3rd one... I have the inspection report, and it says that the all wheel drive pump is not working. My question is, could it be that the sensor has just given up the ghost? And what will a pump cost me? Also, since it's the front wheels that are still moving the car, can I keep driving it like this until winter without damaging anything?

There is a Volvo dealership mins away from the sellers house, and since I live a 10 hour drive away and am flying in to pick the car up, I am thinking I should just pick up the pump and get it installed up here were I live in Prince George Northern BC.
    Everything else on the car is pretty much normal wear and tear for a 10 year old car, and I have no other concerns at this point.

I have Bookmarked this site, and look forward to getting to know the Forum a bit over the next year or ten. Thanks for any responses... Kerry K

Perhaps you may want to post this in the correct forum?
    It needs to go to the dealer and have the stored codes read
    THAT will be in a stored code, a broken collar gear or angle gear will NOT have a code
    Do not "guess" at the problem, it may not be that at all.
    Pretty much all of these issues are BIG buck repairs
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Sorry! I am trying here! I'll repost....