Default 2001 XC70 with bum transmission

Fellow Volvo drivers,

I've got a 2001 XC70 with a bum transmission. I can't afford to have the Volvo dealership in town remedy the problem ($5900 was the estimate, for an entirely new tranny I believe). After speaking with a few other independent shops, I'm looking at the following options: a used 2002 transmission (apparently fits in a 2001 but has a better track record than the 01s), or a remanufactured 02 one for a bit more $$$. Alternatively, a transmission shop is willing to take a crack at rebuilding it for $2,700, but based on what I've read, this doesn't seem like the best option based on how tricky/problematic/notorious 01 trannys are.

Another shop proposed just replacing the valve body on my current transmission for ~$2,300. The shop has a great reputation and says that they've repaired a bunch of 01s this way and have a great track record of success tackling the problem this way. (They said they initially tried rebuilding them but it was too hard and often didn't work and that this is a smarter way to go.) Anyone have that done successfully or otherwise have any other insight that might inform my decision making? I read a thread here where it sounds like people have had success doing this; anyone have a bad experience going this route?

What is the serial number of the bum transmission?
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Just sent you a PM with it. Thanks

Would you post a photo similar to the one below from your car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VXC_4035.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	5281
    Last edited by Xheart; 07-10-2013 at 08:53 PM.
    2001 V70XC +204k miles/ XeMODeX/ Pirelli 12/32"/ Duracell 48/ MOBIL-3309/ Pennzoil EURO 5W-40/ Great Lakes

Go with a rebuild at an independent. There is nothing especially magic with the trannies on Volvos (it's used on many different cars), and any tranny shop will have plenty of experience with them. There's nothing "tricky/problematic/notorious" about them -- they just fail at a truly horrendous rate. The dealer is quoting you the price for a rebuild (there are no new trannies out there) with the usual dealer mark-up.

The tranny went on the wife's 01 XC70, oh, about 6 years ago and was rebuilt by a local shop. It's worked perfectly since.

Darren

Manual Swap
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
    Manual Swap
    If only someone here has done something like this to show us how it's done....