Thread: Help! Tires

Default Help! Tires

I have a 2007 XC70 that once again needs tires.
    I found the Pirellis wear quickly however Volvo is telling me that is the only tire suited for this car.
    Is this true? Is there not another option I can use that is suitable for my car?

The reason for replacing is premature wear due to an unexplained shimmy.
    Could be tires, could be rims could be something else entirely.
    I am changing the tires as a starting point.
    Rims are next if they are found to be bent.

Anyone else have similar experience.

Thanks.

PS: Live in southern Ontario

You can use any tire you damn please as long as it has the appropriate sidewall rating
    There are several tires available, almost every tire is better and MUCH quieter than the Scorpions which is crappy, NOISY, tire.

Plug in your car on www.tirerack.com and you can see what's available as an OEM replacement.

Before you spend up to $1000 Canadian ($7-800 US) for a set of tires, you need to first find out what's going on with your XC.
    Scorpions are good for 30-37,000 miles (depending on how hard you corner and the roads that you drive on)

You may need to do some suspension work.

In the least you need to first align it and see what you have for an alignment and go from there
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    You can use any tire you damn please as long as it has the appropriate sidewall rating
    There are several tires available, almost every tire is better and MUCH quieter than the Scorpions which is crappy, NOISY, tire.

Plug in your car on www.tirerack.com and you can see what's available as an OEM replacement.

Before you spend up to $1000 Canadian ($7-800 US) for a set of tires, you need to first find out what's going on with your XC.
    Scorpions are good for 30-37,000 miles (depending on how hard you corner and the roads that you drive on)

You may need to do some suspension work.

In the least you need to first align it and see what you have for an alignment and go from there
    JRL,

I have taken the car to 4 different service centres and all they do is re-align and/or rotate the tires. Not a single one has looked beyond the tires and/or rims. Granted I do need new tires(excessive wear on the outside edge of the tire and possible shifted belt). My fear is that I will replace tires at 1k only to find the shimmy has not been resolved.

I am at a loss to understand why no one is looking outside of the tires.

One additional question - Do I have to go with a load/speed rating of 96V for this car in order for it to run well. I am being told this as well. I do not load it down and have taken it to 200km only once. General driving is around 110-130km/hr.

Thanks for the feedback
    Last edited by 2dogs2cats2horses; 07-05-2013 at 09:57 AM.

You need a 98 load range, minimum, never, ever go below the factory load range (mine came with load range 102 XL tires, and that's what it has on it now), but H speed rating is fine. I would never go below an H, because they have an extra belt to achieve that speed rating, and they're just better tires. It's my experience that the XC eats tires pretty quickly, not much to be done there...I've been through 3 sets of tires on the XC since I bought it.

Visit Tire Rack, but be warned, there are not a lot of choices in this size.

To learn more about tires, visit this site: http://www.barrystiretech.com/

He's a tire engineer, and talks about speed ratings, loads, etc. (quick hint, just because the tires have a 130 MPH rating, does not mean that the car can be driven at that speed safely, the tires might not be up to it, speed and load ratings are more complex than that)
    Last edited by Astro14; 07-05-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

After going through three sets of pirellis rather quickly we switched over to Michelins and the last set we put on we're defenders with a 90,000 mile warranty. They have been quiet,comfortable,improved braking distance, and improved fuel economy. All you have to do really is find any tire within the factory specs and chose based on your needs.
    2002 v70 xc White/Tobacco
    Touring Package, Cold Weather Package, Intro-Premium Package, Audio Max
    180k+ on ORIGINAL Autotragic GirlTronic

Hi,

I have Toyo Open Country H/T on mine and very happy (1 year)

Thames, what year is yours?