Default Interior door panel / armrests

When I purchased my 2000 XC from Florida 2 years ago, the interior was in excellent condition. Within a year of it being in Maine's colder climate, the vinyl on the interior door armrests started to pull away from the door panel. I'm thinking about making upholstered inserts that fit the vertical face above the armrest area, gently heating the material on the door panel armrest area, then installing the upholstered insert panels to hold the stretched vinyl in place. I'll make the insert out of a rigid material with threaded attachments on the backside that I'll screw onto the full door panel, thereby holding it securely.

I'm curious if others have tried to rectify this problem and if so, how have you done it? Does the above solution sound like it might work?

Tony

Seems like every one of these cars has this problem; mine does!

Good luck with that....until you remove the center section and see how the damn thing is assembled!
    Volvo used to make a replacement center section, it's not an easy process, even with a molded piece to "swap".
    Takes a few hours per door. These are old and tired pieces, the foam inside doesn't separate easily from the old vinyl and has a tendency, now being 13-15 years old, to disintegrate when attempting to remove.

BTW, it's not Maine.
    These panels actually did better in colder climates than hot. It's the hot sun, Volvo's stupid "environmental" glue, poor quality vinyl that shrinks, a poor design in general, and leaving htese cars outside that's the cause, not a cold climate per se
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)