Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Truly an inspiration to us all. What a great forum! Thanks everyone!!!!

+1

Quote Originally Posted by RCFLYER View Post
    The trick I use to lower the transmission. There is a hole on the top of the transmission that is probably used to lift and move trasmission during assembly. I put a bolt through the hole and attached a chain and nut to it. It balances the transmission perfectly. For safety reason I left one bolt attached from the transmission to engine block. To lower the transmission I used a cherry picker (engine hoist from Harbor Frieght) or you can rent one at ypur local autoparts. Attach the hoist to the chain and take up the slack. Make sure boom is high enough because when lowering trans you do not want to damage the car with it. Remove the final (safety bolt) and pry the tranmission from engine block while making sure torque converter is separated from flywheel. Be careful not to damage the flywheel if using prybar. Once separated lower transmission to floor, or in my case a creeper. Attachment 5088
    I'm a little confused by this description. Are you lowering the engine and transmission as an assembly, and then seperateing them once on the ground?

The picture, I assume is showing the hole/holes you used at this balancing point?

Original post says

" Remove the final (safety bolt) and pry the tranmission from engine block while making sure torque converter is separated from flywheel. Be careful not to damage the flywheel if using prybar. Once separated lower transmission to floor".

So it really sounds like there is room there to disengage transmission from engine with engine in place.

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
    I'm a little confused by this description. Are you lowering the engine and transmission as an assembly, and then seperateing them once on the ground?

The picture, I assume is showing the hole/holes you used at this balancing point?
    I did not drop the engine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine braced.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	5094

I braced the engine at it's lifting points.
    The larger of the two holes is the one I used to lift the trans.
    Last edited by RCFLYER; 05-01-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCFLYER View Post
    I did not drop the engine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine braced.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	5094

I braced the engine at it's lifting points.
    The larger of the two holes is the one I used to lift the trans.
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks. And thanks for that info about the balancing point of the tranny.

excellent post RCFLYER! i just joined this forum (VolvoXC.com) because of it...

i've got an 01 V70 XC with 197K on it and the tranny really needs to go... i love the car but this was almost gonna be a deal breaker for me to keep or scrap the car.... until i read your post. ive always thought there's gotta be an easier way to get the transmission out but we all know how it is on the web trying to find someone who's actually done it... pictures would have been great but i totally get it with your description.

so the second biggest question i have is: does anyone know of a great transmission rebuilder that does a good job of rebuilding this transmission? i hate throwing stuff away if it can be rebuilt better than new.

thanks for your contribution RC!

RCFLYER ! that is a great accomplishment, and an inspiration.

I am off the remove my AWD tanny now.

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but it's the only one I can find so far where somebody has described removing a transmission. I agree with everyone else, WELL DONE RCFLYER!

I've been doing a lot of research on overhauling the AW55 - it looks pretty easy believe it or not, found some good videos on youtube. The transmission is totally "kaput", no drive, except it wants to try to go forward with reverse selected. I suspect there are stuck valves, but think it's probably now also got significant internal wear to clutches/bands. I've started removing a few ancillaries from my XC70 to prepare for removal of the transmission...

I have to say I cannot comprehend how it would be possible to remove this thing without removing the sub-frame completely, like RCFlyer did, I just can't see how there is possibly enough space to do it otherwise! I know there is supposedly a way to jack the subframe down but I still can't see how that will give space.

I also thing I have a rear main seal issue, there is oil all over the underside of the transmission and along the floorpan of the car. It appears to be engine oil. Transmission oil level is still fine. Looks like it could be originating from the weephole between the engine and transmission.

I also am due to do engine mounts.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to whether I should pull the entire engine/transmission, or try to just remove the transmission? Only hessitation I have is A/C circuit. Ive pulled an engine in a Subaru before and managed not to disturb power steering or A/c by just unbolting and moving aside. Is this possible with an XC?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hopefully I can post some good pics of the job as I proceed as there doesn't seem to be much on forums showing this process, and it's time I gave back. The various Volvo forums have been of immense value to me recently, THANK YOU!

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tone944 View Post
    I know this is a bit of an old thread, but it's the only one I can find so far where somebody has described removing a transmission. I agree with everyone else, WELL DONE RCFLYER!

I've been doing a lot of research on overhauling the AW55 - it looks pretty easy believe it or not, found some good videos on youtube. The transmission is totally "kaput", no drive, except it wants to try to go forward with reverse selected. I suspect there are stuck valves, but think it's probably now also got significant internal wear to clutches/bands. I've started removing a few ancillaries from my XC70 to prepare for removal of the transmission...

I have to say I cannot comprehend how it would be possible to remove this thing without removing the sub-frame completely, like RCFlyer did, I just can't see how there is possibly enough space to do it otherwise! I know there is supposedly a way to jack the subframe down but I still can't see how that will give space.

I also thing I have a rear main seal issue, there is oil all over the underside of the transmission and along the floorpan of the car. It appears to be engine oil. Transmission oil level is still fine. Looks like it could be originating from the weephole between the engine and transmission.

I also am due to do engine mounts.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to whether I should pull the entire engine/transmission, or try to just remove the transmission? Only hessitation I have is A/C circuit. Ive pulled an engine in a Subaru before and managed not to disturb power steering or A/c by just unbolting and moving aside. Is this possible with an XC?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hopefully I can post some good pics of the job as I proceed as there doesn't seem to be much on forums showing this process, and it's time I gave back. The various Volvo forums have been of immense value to me recently, THANK YOU!

Thanks in advance,

Tony
    I am in the same boat, but my leak is probably the shaft seal. This is a very good thread for the reasons you stated, it's one of the only I can find where the engine is left in place. I'm not sure which is easier having never done either way, but if one can make the contraption to keep the engine in place, it's a bit of a time saver.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast