Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Here goes my experience...
    First of all, hi to everyone! Being a long time lurker, I felt the necessity to share my experience while downloading VOLVO software into my XC70 2006....
    My DICE is a chinese knockoff and it is fully compatible with the genuine VOLVO software application (VIDA). BTW, the only way you will be able to download software into your VOLVO is by buying a genuine subscription from volvotechinfo.com , unfortunately; there is no way around this. the process is very straight forward and it works. The recommended path is to buy the TOTAL upgrade CAN which includes the latest fixes (already mentionned before on this post). Also if you car already has the latest software ex. TMC upgrade... it will let you know and you can claim a refund which I found fair
    I got to update mi DIM, my ECM my AUM my BCM my DEM and my PDM. Tried to upgrade my TCM but my software was already up to date. That is when I found out the TOTAL CAN upgrade that I believe, it includes all the updates for all the modules and is the most cost effective option.
    Make sure you plug in a battery charger to keep your charge stable while downloading the software.
    The latest VIDA version is 2014AU3.
    I used my MAC and installed VMware and windows ultimate 64 bit 7 as a virtual machine. DO NOT RUN ANY WIN UPDATES as the frameworks ver. needs to be kept as it came from the VIDA disk. Just use this virtual machine for your VIDA application and it'll run with no issues.
    For my regular diagnosis, I use another virtual machine with my 2013 VIDA version (the one that came with my DICE knockoff).
    If you have any questions, let me know.
    M.

Ok so let me get this clear.
    - create a VMware for Windows Ultimate 7 64bit
    - install a clean version of vida
    - create a account through vida and apply for a subscription
    - purchase software and download to the car.

Questions:
    - How did you acquire Windows 7 Ultimate?
    - Does it need to be the latest version of VIDA? Will the program update if I have a later version on a install disk, or will I have to find a new download for the latest version?
    - Cost for the software, and does it come with the user defined setting software as well?

Thank You
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

Hi Anthersoll!
    -Windows 7 ultimate was acquired via my place of work at a huge discount
    -Yes, it needs to be the latest version of VIDA. When you purchase your VIDA subscription, VOLVO sends you a a DVD with the latest version.
    -When you are downloading the software (purchasing), it is automatically profiled with your car as you have to do it while DICE is connected to the car and it is VIN related.
    The software goes from 24$ up to 65$
    You are welcome!

And I assume that the new version of vida will not work on XP SP3? Thanks for all the info, just one more way to avoid the dealer

I don't see it mentioned here anywhere but note that the newest versions of VIDA require at least 2.5G system memory. When I tried to put 2013A on my old 2G RAM Dell, that was the message I got when it failed during the system parameter checks at the beginning of the install. There maybe a way to fool the installer but I couldn't find it. Maybe someone else has figured that one out and wouldn't mind revealing the secret to the rest of us.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

You are right... XP3 will not work at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    And I assume that the new version of vida will not work on XP SP3? Thanks for all the info, just one more way to avoid the dealer

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    I don't see it mentioned here anywhere but note that the newest versions of VIDA require at least 2.5G system memory. When I tried to put 2013A on my old 2G RAM Dell, that was the message I got when it failed during the system parameter checks at the beginning of the install. There maybe a way to fool the installer but I couldn't find it. Maybe someone else has figured that one out and wouldn't mind revealing the secret to the rest of us.

Cheers,

Bill
    Upgrading ram is a piece of cake. You just need to find what RAM card is compatible with your PC and plug it in, and most likely since you have a Dell you will be quite cheap and will serve you well. My macbook came with 2x 1GB RAM cards. I've replaced them with 2x 4GB RAM card and it works wonders for the system.

I believe the need for memory is specificly down to Microsoft SQL which is very memory dependant.
    MY01 Ocean Race XC70 Blue/Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Antherzoll View Post
    Upgrading ram is a piece of cake. You just need to find what RAM card is compatible with your PC and plug it in, and most likely since you have a Dell you will be quite cheap and will serve you well. My macbook came with 2x 1GB RAM cards. I've replaced them with 2x 4GB RAM card and it works wonders for the system.
    My 10 year-old Dell beater is maxed at 2G so no upgrade there, but a better box is not needed for the garage. What would be trick is if I could do the downloads on my 16G 4.4gHz Hackintosh (VIDA 2013A running on a Win 8.1 VM), save the Volvo patches for future use and then apply them to the car with the old Dell. Also be useful to be able to apply the patches to more than one car and not be hindered by the 3-day subscription period. In other words, be able to do upgrades to my car the way I do them on my computers.

Cheer,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

I'm running VIDA on my 10 years old XP laptop with 750mb RAM without any issue (other than a bit slow). To overcome the installation requirement of 2GB+ RAM, you need to find one of the configuration files that has the hard-coded 2GB RAM requirement and edit the value down to be less than your machine's RAM size.

DYZ
    2005 Volvo XC70, Ash Gold, 210K miles

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast