Question Loose companion flange on angle gear

Hi, everyone. Long-time lurker here on the forum. I always search here for tips to repair my 2001 V70 XC, but so far I haven't been able to find a definitive answer for this one.

For the past few weeks, when moving the car in the morning I've noticed a dragging noise which sounded like it was coming from the rear differential. After about a quarter-mile, the sound would cease and the car would run great. I went through this routine the other day, but after parking for a moment and starting down the road again a loud clunking sound began underneath the car.

From reading the forum here, I thought the problem was most likely the front CV of the rear driveshaft, so I jacked the car up from all four wheels and took the driveshaft off. However, when I started the car up and put it into drive, the clunking was still there. Inspection found that the companion flange on the output of the angle gear is flopping around as power is sent to it. Searching the forum, I've seen three individuals have similar issues with different conclusions:

As I'm trying to figure out why the flange might be loose, I'm looking at this site (http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/sh...rimLevel=11156) and see that the companion flange is inserted into a sealing (#5) and #6. What is #6? The listing doesn't describe it. I feel like it should be a bearing, to hold the shaft of the flange in place. It also doesn't help that the flange lock nut (#8) is NOT 24mm as the listing states... I put a 26 on it and was still short; I'll have to purchase a 27 just to see if it fits. Also, the lock nut and whatever it's connected to spins around with the flange when under load, so what does this actually connect to within the angle gear?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GR-76666 (1).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	4991

I don't know what else might be broken inside and I can't afford to be without the car for too long right now (aka, drop the entire angle gear). If I can get the flange off, should I be able to drive it? What would you suggest I use to temporarily seal the output hole? Thanks for any help you can provide!
    2006 Hyundai Sonata (manual trans., surprisingly fun to drive)
    2001 Volvo V70 XC (family car)
    1989 Volvo 240 DL Wagon (still wheezing)
    ---
    RIP:
    1988 Izuzu Trooper (manual trans., fuel system failure)
    1990 Volkswagen Passat (manual trans., blew head twice)
    1989 Pontiac Bonneville (rusted out underneath)
    1984 Volvo 240 DL (electrical gremlins)

I've not cracked one of these open but here is a disassembly with pics that may yield answers for you. It appear the Volvo's exploded diagram and part listing doesn't show all of the internal components of the AG.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...325&viewfull=1

This thread seems to suggest the pinion shaft has 2 bearings. One on the inside of the AG and the on companion flange side.

The companion flange looks like it sleeves over the toothed end on the pinion shaft. And the lock nut secure these 2 components together. The seal looks like it wraps around the companion flange shaft so I'm guessing AG fluid would leak out if you take the flange out (not sure, haven't cracked one open as noted above)

If your companion flange is flopping around, perhaps the lock nut has loosened just like the sem screw on one of the links you posted?
    Last edited by howardc64; 03-28-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Thanks for the link! It was rather impressive to see how the guy was able to piece everything together, and the picture of the pinion gear helps make sense of things.

Unfortunately, as I tore down the compression flange it was apparent that the problem is within the angle gear casing itself. I was able to push and spin the pinion gear within the case and feel it wobble and smack against the ring gear. From the pictures I saw, the free play on the pinion gear most likely results from one or more of the bearings failing. Combined with the metal shavings found the last time I drained the gear oil, and I'd say the thing is toast.*

My father-in-law wants to help me rebuild it, and if I do I'll be sure to post pics. But does anyone know where I might be able to find a used angle gear for a 2001 V70 XC? Can't really drop $1750 just for the part right now...
    ---
    RIP:

Quote Originally Posted by Kitheme View Post
    does anyone know where I might be able to find a used angle gear for a 2001 V70 XC?
    I hear http://www.erievolvo.com has a large stock of used Volvo parts.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    I hear http://www.erievolvo.com has a large stock of used Volvo parts.
    Thanks for the link. Was able to purchase and ship an angle gear with 95k mi. for $325 (!), which was not only in excellent condition but also comes with a lifetime warranty; as long as I own the car and maintain the gear, they will replace it for free if it fails. I saved more than $1400 over a remanufactured part. Erie even had the VIN of the donor car, to verify the proper fit.

Plus, look at this thing:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130414_161104.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	5073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130414_161138.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	5074

I'm certain that they repainted the entire casing, it's that clean. The seals look brand new, as well. I genuinely wonder if this was a remanufactured part itself. Definitely buying hard-to-find items from these guys from now on.

Car's running great again, and I'll eventually tear down the old angle gear to see what went wrong (and post pics here). Thanks, howardc64!
    ---
    RIP: