Default Looks like I've got one.

So after a few months of research and the last month looking for an XC70, I finally managed to get one. Baring no disasters I pick it up on Saturday. Its an 04, in silver, black interior and a premium pack. More than happy with the choice and even happier to be back on the road after so long without a car.

Budget was raised more than once to get something right and we needed to do that as everything we looked at was top $$ for the good ones. Thanks to JRL for some pointers and advice, really helpful!

Good news for me I have found a mechanic along the road from me who works on all makes he prefers Volvo (he has two older ones for sale out side his shop) as he was a Volvo tech, so I hope that works out. I just have to do my research into him before he gets his hands on my new toy.

I will need locking wheel nuts, so if anyone can recommend some and best place to buy that would be great. Also leather care, I want to keep it in tip top condition so as soon as I get it I want to clean and condition the leather seats, again if anyone can recommend a good product and place to buy that would be great.

Its exciting this new car (new to me anyway) lark!

I got a set of OEM Volvo locking lug bolts off ebay for pretty cheap!

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

So what did you buy, year, miles (and how much)?
    I hope you got a GOOD car!

I think wheel locks are a waste on Volvos, no one really steals Volvo wheels and the XC tire size is good to no one except XC owners
    You run into the problem up here of them rusting on, then you need to drill them out!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    So what did you buy, year, miles (and how much)?
    I hope you got a GOOD car!

I think wheel locks are a waste on Volvos, no one really steals Volvo wheels and the XC tire size is good to no one except XC owners
    You run into the problem up here of them rusting on, then you need to drill them out!
    $400 more than the 2004 XC70 Nautic Blue/Oak 105K miles that you have for sale but with 107K, same model year different color. New tries, brakes and rotors all round, all service upto date and drive belts changed.

That's food for thought on the wheel size being good to only those to with XC's.
    Last edited by Blame Me; 03-14-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: grammar

Congrats! JRL helped me a lot too when I bought mine last summer.

Locking kit - I thought about it, but where I live/park my car I decided it wasn't necessary. There is a kit on DE craigslist for $15 that I keep seeing though. No idea what they go for at the dealer or Tasca.

For leather conditioning/cleaning, I researched this too. I use Leatherique. It's a 2 part system, Rejuvenator and Prestine (cleaner). For the Rejuvenator, you massage it into the seats, let "soak" with the windows up and in the sun then remove. Then you use the cleaner. Lot's of reviews and how-to's online. Detailed Image has the most info. I bought a really nasty back seat w/ child boosters that I plan on doing this to once it warms up.

2005 XC70 - 50/35 Tint, Yakima Rack

Quote Originally Posted by perkinscl View Post
    Congrats! JRL helped me a lot too when I bought mine last summer.

Locking kit - I thought about it, but where I live/park my car I decided it wasn't necessary. There is a kit on DE craigslist for $15 that I keep seeing though. No idea what they go for at the dealer or Tasca.

For leather conditioning/cleaning, I researched this too. I use Leatherique. It's a 2 part system, Rejuvenator and Prestine (cleaner). For the Rejuvenator, you massage it into the seats, let "soak" with the windows up and in the sun then remove. Then you use the cleaner. Lot's of reviews and how-to's online. Detailed Image has the most info. I bought a really nasty back seat w/ child boosters that I plan on doing this to once it warms up.
    Cheers for the recommendation, looks like $15/20 for the nuts though as you and JRL mention its probably not needed.

Seats in the one I have look great, back seat looks hardly used which is a bit odd as it has the 3rd row seating and because of that I would of imagined it would of looked a lot worse than what it is.

I want to keep it looking and feeling great so cleaning and conditioning the leather is always important, done it back at home in the UK but now in the USA I see products I've never seen before. In fact I've not been in the auto side of things for 8 years and things have moved on a bit since I last drove something of my own.

The leather in these cars is pretty sturdy. I never even got the '99 V70 (that had no window tinting whatsoever) to crack the driver's seat leather after 12 years of being parked only outside and 120,000+ miles of seat use. The '07 XC70 was perma plated when the initial leasing took place about 6 years ago. I had it re-perma plated when I purchased it. I also convinced my father (since it's technically his car) to install 70% tint on the front 2 windows and 20% on the rear 5. He then decided on the super expensive ultra-premium tint material that blocks out everything except actual lightwaves so that definitely helps a lot in the UV protection department.

From my own leather care experience, I would recommend keeping the seats clean (mostly vacuumed but remove any liquids and their stains that spill on them promptly), use armor-all or a perma plate like leather treatment about every 2-4 years depending on wear/the life that happens in between, and you shouldn't have any worries.
    Luckily, Volvo did not perforate the leather seats like in my Eddie Bauer Expedition or Fusion Sport so you don't have to worry about getting all the little crumby things out of the tiny holes. That's not only less of a P.I.T.A for you but saves your seats from wear that you may not be able to ever see but could potentially lead to cracking/drying out/etc.
    I make it sound like a chore but leather care on Volvos is some of the easiest I've ever come across.
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...

Congrats, you're gonna love it! And great color combo too, mine is the same and I love it. I've gotten alot of compliments. And the silver looks clean all the time too, which is nice.
    Silver '07 Adventure Series

After 3 days its better than I thought, those seats are just great and they have come along way from the 240 & 940 I used to have, I thought those seats were good.

I went for Armor-All for leather care, start the job of cleaning and conditioning at the weekend, some other goodies on the horizon too to keep this car looking its best.

Still smiling, a lot!

I'm sure you'll have no problems with your seats! Glad you're enjoying the car!
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...