Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are Volvo leather seats clear coated? What is the best leather care product?

I have a 2004 XC70 and 2008 S40. Are the leather seats coated with a clear coat of somthing like vinyl? I'm trying to decide what the best leather care product is. I'm thinnking the leather Volvo uses is not coated since I have used Lexol on them and it soaked in pretty fast. Is Lexol good stuff? Thanks!!!

The finish of which you speak is the result of what is known as "tanning" and "curing". Different hides and tanning techniques will produce differing finishes, much like leather jackets. Some look somewhat shiny and slippery, while others have a "buttery" feel to them. Some may be polished easily (such as a military dress shoe), some not so easily. Either way, Lexol is amongst the best, if not THE best, for taking care of leather properly. There is a nice Connolly leather care package put out by Jaguar for about $45 which actually isn't too bad Lexol is highly recommended, not to mention more readily available!! I recently used a product put out by CRC for doing my seats. It's a nice creamy aerosol that can be rubbed easily into the grain.

http://www.crc-canada.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=134

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Thanks! I have read many times that lots of leather used in cars has a coating made of clear vinyl like materal to protect the leather. Does Volvo use this on their leather? I hear this coating prevents leather care products from getting to the leather.

For rejuvenation of leather, the best I've used is Voodoo. I tried Lexol, but it didn't make a dent in softening my leather seats.

The Voodoo softened the leather which allowed the foam cushions to expand close to their original shape which now provides me better lower back support and greater comfort.

You can buy it at Pepboys. Good stuff.

http://www.topoftheline.com/surf-cit...nditioner.html

SkagSig40, your question is a good one. I haven't figured it out yet, but it is on my mind. Much automotive leather leather is coated with vinyl or vinyl-like stuff. Many people believe that this leather would benefit from being treated like vinyl, as it's not likely that leather conditioners would penetrate the coating to do any good and the leather is basically entombed.

I've seen people claim that the water test is definitive. Put a couple drops or a small puddle of water on an undamaged section of leather and see if it soaks in. If it does, you're likely dealing with uncoated leather. If it doesn't, you might be dealing with coated leather. Sounds like you've reached a conclusion with your Lexol observation.

Also, I think that XC's have leather seating areas only, that the sides of the seats are vinyl. Figuring that out, definitively, is also on my agenda in the spring.

Product wise, Lexol seems to universally thought of as a good, non-damaging product. I kept a Saab's black leather looking fantastic and smelling like fresh leather for 15 years, never garaged in the Colorado sun, by using Leatherique Cleaner and Rejuvenating Oil twice a year and other products for occasional spot cleaning. I'm a big advocate of adding a cleaning step when conditioning leather.
    Last edited by weeble; 12-31-2009 at 10:07 AM. Reason: dummy....proof read first

Quote Originally Posted by SkagSig40 View Post
    Thanks! I have read many times that lots of leather used in cars has a coating made of clear vinyl like materal to protect the leather. Does Volvo use this on their leather? I hear this coating prevents leather care products from getting to the leather.
    Like most automotive leather it does and you can use almost anything.
    The R seats are not sealed and require special cleaning and treating.
    XC leather is tough and can stand up to a lot of products

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Like most automotive leather it does and you can use almost anything.
    The R seats are not sealed and require special cleaning and treating.
    XC leather is tough and can stand up to a lot of products
    Since I just bought a R, what do you recommend for their care?

Depends on which color (they are different), but all Rs should only be cleaned with MILD soap (such as Woolite) and warm water then use Lexol conditioner.
    (Some like Leatherique)
    NEVER use Lexol (or any other) cleaner, it will strip the color right out of the seats
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

www.leatherworker.net/

These folks know all things leather. Many make their living with leather, doing anything form making Saddles that can sell for $90,000 or riding chaps for bikers, and everything in between. Leather care for all types of leather has been discussed many times. Your question about coatings on leather may already be answered there, or you could ask somebody with an appropriately targeted thread. I use saddle products on my truck leather. 200,000 miles, and it still looks good. Even though I have ignored it for the last year or two. I will likely test and use Lederbalsam, but Fiebings has some great products as well.

There is a sealant used on leathers for some products. Acrylic Resolene comes to mind. Some English saddles use a sealant over their saddles as well. I would ask the Leather Pros how to determine what you have and how to care for it.

Good Luck.
    D

I have previous used zymol and lexol leather care products in my xc. I'm looking to try out some leatherique cleaner and rejuvenating oil that i got from my dad's college buddy. Any tips when removing the front seats.
    1988 Volvo dark red 244 DL: 200k miles w/ GL wheels, volvo volt gauge, volvo fuel ecomony gauge, and jvc cd player

2003 Volvo ash gold metalic XC70: 100k miles
    cold climate package, sand leather, memory seats, homelink, moon/sunroof, grocery rack, courtsey lights, and 40/20/40 rear seat, trailer hitch, IPD engine strut conversion and poly bushings, IPD upper engine mount and round poly bushings, 3M xpel lens covers

cool: loves the snow drifting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast