Question No Oil Pressure. Stop Engine.

Hi Volvo lovers,

I am a new Volvo XC90 owner/fan.

The issue is my lovely 2006 XC90 2.5T started to show the bizarre 'No Oil Pressure. Stop Engine.' dash board message red color.

First things I checked right after seeing that message.
    Engine oil level - FINE (actually full).
    Engine oil - CLEAN and recently replaced.

I drove 100 miles and the weather was peaceful 40f degrees (5c). The sign would come and off intermittently and stayed there for some time. We were luckily at the destination so we stopped the car and did our biz.

After a couple of hours we started the engine, drove a car, came back home driving 100 miles back without an issue.

But after a day, actually today, I saw the same message again. It was intermittently again and then would stay. If I restart the engine the message would go away but then would come back after sometime of driving.

So I called a couple of normal non-Volvo repair shops and they didn't know what the issue is and didn't even know why I would check the engine pressure. So OK pass.

I called Volvo dealer and he said if it is a 'low engine oil' message you can just top it up but if it is a 'engine pressure' message then the issue can be huge so he advised to tow the car in.

But I read Volvo dealers are notorious about 'making issues bigger' and have customers fix/pay. So I am not sure what to do right now.

People on Forums are saying to get oil pressure checked and then check old O-rings next.

Is there anyone actually experienced this and got this fixed?

Please advise what to do or/and what would be the cure.

Thx a lot in advance,
    flatlander84

Coming from an Xterra, where oil pressure sensors die, my guess is it would be just that. If it was a real problem, your engine would have seized during one of your trips...

Edit just noticed you were in Boston, where about? I just found a good indy repair shop in Lincoln...

Find a good indy repair shop. I had this issue, very seldom in the summer months, when i was idling. Turned out to be a bad o-ring in the oil pan. This causes air bubbles in the oil, which doesn't lubricate and eventually leads to damage. The o-rings are cheap, like $20 or so, and it's about a 3-hour job to drop the pan.

With any Volvo, I cannot stress enough to DIY what you can (there's a vast knowledge/support base) and find a good independent shop for the rest.

A similar situation ....I've been having the issue with the gauges going dead along with electric windows and turn signal indicator, it was occasional, some blog said DIM issue.
    But then the oil pressure Aladdin lamp icon comes on and the display says to stop, i'm thinking more DIM issue. But I'm near an independent volvo repair and stop in, he's busy but checks oil level and listens to engine and doesn't hear oil starvation sounds so he says come back tomorrow. On way home I hear strange noise which turns out to be turbo whining, probably no oil. Stop at "European" repair shop, he says turbo gone, but why? I ask. Had recent oil change and oil still clean. He doesn't know, maybe its a bad turbo oil feed line, wants to replace turbo, OK but what caused it. I asked him to drop pan, he shows me some gunk and some seals that look old. He also shows me the oil filter which it all bent up and full of junk and he says its got 20000 miles and looks at me like I'm lying about the recent oil change after I say its was replaced by Valvolne quick lube at 3400 miles ago.
    I want to take filter back to Valvoline, but he misplaces it. The used turbo he installed seems to work OK and no more oil pressure icon display, but does anyone have an idea what really happened. Now Its summer like conditions and the gauges instead of working most of the time, now DON"T work most of the time.???? any thoughts 135k
    Last edited by senordan; 03-15-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: left out word

You NEVER, EVER go to a quick lube or Jiffy Lube with these cars.
    They ALL use the wrong (cheap) filter thus can damage the engine, which apparently is what they did to yours.
    They're also notorious for not tightening and seating the filter properly then damaging it by using an impact gun on the nut
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I would hazard a guess that your oil pressure sender is failing. If the engine actually did not have oil pressure, your engine would have already seized up by now.

Well, today I got "No Oil Pressure. Stop Engine." on the display in my 2002 V70XC (almost 160k miles) and when I stopped (which was immediately) I opened up the hood to see the remaining oil contents of the block leaking out onto the road. The oil seems to be from the area behind the crankshaft flywheel pulley. Not good. I'll have my mechanic look at it tomorrow but if I have to replace the main crankshaft seal I'm not sure I'm up for it. I love that car but it's been terribly expensive in the past year.

It could be the orings in the pan as suggested. Remove the oil pressure sensor from the block and attach a pressure gauge and see your actual pressure while idling and report back. Do not drive the car even one mile until you figure this out. You could spin a rod bearing or worse and engine will be trash. Could also be a plugged oil trap that backed up and fully plugged the return passage to the pan.
    Last edited by hiljak; 08-15-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Sorry I was acidentally replying to an earlier post in this thread. Mjpaterson, you may have blown a seal due to clogged pcv system.

Fixed my oil pressure issue some time ago. Replaced all the o rings in the sump. The oring on the oil pickup had become brittle and half of it was missing so it was pulling in air causing actual low pressure. Ok for short time but if left wear will result I pulled the filter apart and it had done its job lots of little orange bits of the seals. Just have to fix the oil return on the turbo now! Using orings for an oil pickup is a very poor design a paper gasket with two bolts is much better. I had to wait a week for the orings but could have made a paper gasket in five mins. The only reason to use an oring is to make manufacture of the engine quick. .....and what Swedish idiot decided to put an oil pump on the crankshaft!