Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Intermittent codes PO1618, PO1633, PO722 on 2000 V70XC, HELP!!

Starting new thread in hopes of avoiding "thread fatigue"
    My transmission woes on my 2000 V70XC have been documented on thread "Why won't trans shops touch my 200 V70XC" Briefly, I bought a clean car with a bad transmission and had a used, low mile, transmission installed by a competent shop. After about 4500 miles and 4 1/2 months all was greatl until last week when the dreaded flashing arrow returned, the car went into "limp mode" and codes PO1618-Volvo-"fault in lead between AW50-52 and Motronic 4.3 (MIL requested, code PO1633-VOLVO-"vehicle speed sensor signal, and code PO722-generic-"out put shaft speed sensor circuit no signal came up. Car was returned to trans shop and problem could not be found. Connectors were unplugged and re-connected, no problem as found. another week and a tousand miles or so, and the flashing arrow, the "ABS", "TRAC", and check engine light returned, as did the "limp mode" and the same codes. Mysteriously, all disappeared and returned to normal. After a few run cycles, all returned and disappeared again, except for the "limp mode", which is sporadic. Car back at shop, and again, no problem is found as all have disappeared again.
    The weather has been heavy rains and snow. I'm suspecting that the problem may be caused by a bad harness or connector, possibly damaged or pinched during trans swap, or bad on replacement trans.
    Has anyone had problems similar?
    If trans shop can't find problem, I'm dreading trip to snotty, way overpriced shop in very wealthy suburb who disdains selling parts or working on "old cars", (mine is a 2000 XC) Only independent Volvo shop is about 40 miles away in Ann Arbor, but has decent reputation.
    Can anyone offer any tips?

1618 is a communication error.
    First try removing the ABS module and reinstalling it, making sure it's snapped it thoroughly.
    If that doesn't work, get a wiring diagram and start fault tracing that harness.

I've had this in two cars, I guess I was lucky, we fixed both.
    One was easy, the second a bit harder but we found the offending cut/frayed wire.

I remember now, on the last one it actually really was a bad vehicle speed sensor, the one off the tranny
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

JRL,
    I agree, I'm suspecting electrical connection at ABS module. Since shop installed transmission, it was only right that I take it back to them to let them make it right. After a couple of days of head scratching, they said VSS, (Vehicle Speed Sensor, was likely culprit and parts/labor=$262. All was well for about a week, 100 miles or so, until intermittent flashing arrow, "check engine" light returned. Transmission shifts as normal, all OK. A quick scan with my INNOVA 360 scan tool gives exact same codes as before; PO 1618= VOLVO "fault in lead between AW50-52 and Motronic 4.3, MIL requested", code P1633=VOLVO, "vehicle speed sensor", and code P0722=generic, "output shaft speed sensor circuit no signal"
    I removed airbox and black plastic cover over electrical connection to access main connector as you suggested, but could not find release for main connector and didn't want to break it, so only "wiggled" it a bit and sprayed WD40 down into it as much as possible. A good amount of crud was present. Here in Michigan, we use a LOT of road salt and that stuff gets into EVERYTHING causing all kinds of havoc and electrical weirdness. Can you tell me how to release electrical connector at ABS? There is a large green plastic main connector and a smaller, black plastic connector at left front of ABS.
    Not sure if I should let shop have another go, as just exchaging parts can get expensive and I can do that on my own. Maybe recommended shop in Ann Arbor, "Swedish Engineering" is next step.
    One other thing that MAY, (though not likely) be a factor; ignition lock cylinder is failing. Occasionally, key will spin in lock freely without activating switch and steering lock. Previous owner supplied new factory Volvo lock cylinder assembly, but, alas, it is not the same key. No local Detroit area locksmith could be found who can, (or will), re-code lock cylinder to existing key. However, found locksmith in California who says he does exactly this for Volvo, VW, Audi, etc dealers for western US. Charge $80 which is far less than cost of ordering another new switch from Volvo. Also, local snotty Volvo dealer will not order lock cylinder, ($345), unless THEY install it at 1.5hrs labor @$125hr. 3 screws hold trim panel and 2 screws hold lock cylinder assy; no special tools, no special fasteners, a couple of electrical connectors, a job easily done in parking lot outside dealer. Not saying ignition lock cylinder/switch assy IS problem, but needs attention anyway.
    I bought this car with a bad transmission about 1 year ago with the intention of fixing it, cleaning it and turning it over for a few bucks to put into my 242 V8 project, so desperately trying to keep rapidly growing costs under control. Not much luck with that so far!

Installed used, salvage yard ABS module and all problems SEEM to be gone. Will send out original module for repair/rebuild for spare. Any recommendations for module overhaul? Plenty of Ebay listings for this, any to avoid?

All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Sent out ABS module for repair, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
    After staring at wiring diagram after months of frustration, head scratching, swearing, etc, came to AHA! moment; single wheel speed sensor at each wheel supplies signal to a variety of destinations. If ABS module is bad, NOTHING related to vehicle speed works right.