Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Volvoholic View Post
    My '07 had that exact problem with the PCV hose. At my dealer, I paid for parts and got in with the tech to do the labor for free since he was already doing brakes and some other stuff. Would've been right around $250 completed for just the hose if I was charged for labor, if I remember right. Anyway, try to open the oil cap after the car has been running for a while. If it doesn't open, you need a new PCV valve. I'd just replace the hose for now.
    Where is this PCV "valve" you speak of? Never heard of the filler cap trick. Wouldn't this indicate suction (a good thing)?
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak
    English Shepherd option installed in rear.

There is no "PCV valve" to speak of
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    There is no "PCV valve" to speak of
    Ha! Thought I was on my old Dodge forum for a second!
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak
    English Shepherd option installed in rear.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmike View Post
    BUT, the question is, given it's a 2007, I'm wondering if it's worth a try at replacing just the broken hose for $20. Is there a way of verifying the rest of the system isn't plugged? I assume if it is, I will be making things worse by bringing pressure back into crankcase and forcing oil past seals, etc. If I decide to just try to replace this cheaper hose, is there a good way to check afterwards on whether or not the system is functionality properly, other than waiting for leaks
    Replace the hose for $20 while you search for an independent service technician that can do the job for a lot less than $700 . After installing the new hose check the crankcase pressure when the engine is running by taking off the oil filler cap and putting a glove or gloved hand over the hole. You should see / feel vacuum in the crankcase. If you can't detect any vacuum replace the oil filler cap and remove the dipstick, if there is positive crankcase pressure oil vapors can usually be seen coming from the dipstick hole as blue/grey smoke.

When is it recommended to be done? I assumed given the condition of the hose that cracked, that it was never done. Assumption being that if it was done the hose would not get a chance to get that brittle?
    The XC70 maintenance schedule doesn't call for replacement of the PCV system, at 105kmiles it says:
    PCV:inspect, clean nipple and hoses (Turbo Models Only)
    The text is for MY2004, but seen the fact that the engine in 2007 is still the same....
    It doesn't mean it is not a good idea to replace it, just that the schedule doesn't tell to do so.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Of course not.
    They don't care what happens to it after 50K miles, much less at 100K!
    By its DESIGN, this engine needs this system renewed (on average) every 100K miles or so.
    The only time I've seen that this is not necessary is when the owner has changed the oil (since new or near new) every 5000 miles
    AND WITH SYNTHETIC OIL, and/or...
    the car is primarily highway driven and not used in much stop and go driving
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Of course not.
    They don't care what happens to it after 50K miles, much less at 100K!
    By its DESIGN, this engine needs this system renewed (on average) every 100K miles or so.
    The only time I've seen that this is not necessary is when the owner has changed the oil (since new or near new) every 5000 miles
    AND WITH SYNTHETIC OIL, and/or...
    the car is primarily highway driven and not used in much stop and go driving

that's my case, and when I do the sjonnie´s method PCV it´s ÓK

thought that hose was only in 2005´s, when volvo realized it was not a good idea

I might just do that. The dealer I bought it from will do the hose under used car warranty but I didn't want to do that only to find out some time later that I have other issues related to closing up the system again but with other plugged up parts. Hence my questions about determine if other areas might be plugged up and require total job anyway.

Great advice thanks.
    No problem, I honestly think if you just replace the hose you should be fine. I don't have too much experience with that entire system but I doubt anything crazy has fallen in there. Just be sure you replace it with a rubber or silicone hose so that asinine plastic accordion doesn't shear in the same manner again.
    Just thinking through it, that line supposedly has a direct lead to the oil pan and if anything fell down there, you'd have a much bigger problem than just a sheared hose. Seeing as everyone is in a bit of confusion over my PCV valve statement, I don't think there's anything to block something from falling down there so you'd definitely have noticed a greater issue by now.

Quote Originally Posted by guyeye View Post
    Where is this PCV "valve" you speak of? Never heard of the filler cap trick. Wouldn't this indicate suction (a good thing)?
    I should stop thinking past 12am. I always misspeak or do some computation wrong. Take my advice, don't do calculus or physics past 12am. It always get much more frustrating than doing it around 9pm.
    Anyway, suction is a good thing but you don't want enough suction to the point you can't get the oil cap off if the vehicle is running. From my understanding, Volvos have a PCV hose that recirculates fumes collected from the oil pan (or other places near the bottom of the engine) and circulates them up to the intake to burn off creating cleaner emissions. I'm taking a wild guess and saying that within that system there is a small valve that opens and shuts so there isn't any back pressure that could potentially blow off the oil cap. Then again, I could be totally and completely wrong and there could be a bypass or some type of vent so that situation never arises. Or the engine never creates enough pressure on either end negating any need for such a valve.
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Volvoholic View Post
    I'm taking a wild guess and saying that within that system there is a small valve that opens and shuts so there isn't any back pressure that could potentially blow off the oil cap. Then again, I could be totally and completely wrong and there could be a bypass or some type of vent so that situation never arises. Or the engine never creates enough pressure on either end negating any need for such a valve.
    There's no valve. There are two circuits, one has a restricted flow connection to the intake manifold while the other flows into the air intake before the turbo. At idle there is a low flow to both circuits. As you open the throttle flow decreases to the intake manifold and increases to the air intake obviating the need for a valve.

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    There's no valve. There are two circuits, one has a restricted flow connection to the intake manifold while the other flows into the air intake before the turbo. At idle there is a low flow to both circuits. As you open the throttle flow decreases to the intake manifold and increases to the air intake obviating the need for a valve.
    This is the other option that I thought was there but couldn't imagine. Much appreciated.
    In this case, there's no need to replace the entire PCV system when just a hose breaks.
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast