Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2007 XC70 125k - replace single PCV hose or whole system?

New to me, in good condition, but found the hose from the valve cover to the oil trap (vent box I guess it's called now) is cracked in half in the "accordian" section (see photos):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BrokenPCVHoseSideViewFromRight.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	4844

Name:	BrokenPCVHoseTopLookingDown.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	4845

Dealer recommends replacing entire PCV system ($700) instead of just replacing this hose. I've had Volvos forever and I do understand that the mighty 5cyl turbo does get hot under the hood and causes plastics to become brittle. So I "get" the idea that it's best to cough up and replace the whole thing (paying them to do it since I understand parts alone are upwards of $400 and the job is a knuckle-busting time consumer). If I go this route I will have a dealer do it so it's warrantied for a while as well.

BUT, the question is, given it's a 2007, I'm wondering if it's worth a try at replacing just the broken hose for $20. Is there a way of verifying the rest of the system isn't plugged? I assume if it is, I will be making things worse by bringing pressure back into crankcase and forcing oil past seals, etc. If I decide to just try to replace this cheaper hose, is there a good way to check afterwards on whether or not the system is functionality properly, other than waiting for leaks

At 125k miles, the system should have already been replaced. Since it is new to you, I'm guessing you don't have any service records to show the replacement has been done?
    2004 Volvo C70 LT
    2002 Volvo V70 XC
    1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    At 125k miles, the system should have already been replaced. Since it is new to you, I'm guessing you don't have any service records to show the replacement has been done?
    When is it recommended to be done? I assumed given the condition of the hose that cracked, that it was never done. Assumption being that if it was done the hose would not get a chance to get that brittle?

I believe the Volvo recommendation is 105,000 miles, but someone else may correct me on that.

For what it's worth, I've been noticing the signs of a clogged PCV system on my wife's 2004 C70, even though that car only has 83,000 miles on it. I won't be making it to 105k before replacement on that one...
    2004 Volvo C70 LT
    2002 Volvo V70 XC
    1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

With normal Volvo "recommended" maintenance (7500 mile oil changes with dino oil) it will not last until 100K miles unless 90% of your driving has been highway.
    City- stop and go driving and short trips kills the system, the oil never gets hot enough
    I've seen them totally clogged at 75K on cars with minimal servicing
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    With normal Volvo "recommended" maintenance (7500 mile oil changes with dino oil) it will not last until 100K miles unless 90% of your driving has been highway.
    City- stop and go driving and short trips kills the system, the oil never gets hot enough
    I've seen them totally clogged at 75K on cars with minimal servicing
    Here's what I have for maintenance (see attached). I don't think any of these items are related to the PCV system, though can't be totally sure. So I am going to assume it was never done, or was done long enough ago that clogging is a concern, and will go ahead and just get the whole service done I guess?

Name:	RepairHistory.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	4846

Name:	RepairHistory2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	4847
    Last edited by ironmike; 02-10-2013 at 03:35 PM.

My car also broke that hose, all 2005īs did it, thought it was specific for this year (???), just that hose not means pcv is bad , mine is OK, 160,000 miles running always synthetic oil ...

Quote Originally Posted by juanpen View Post
    My car also broke that hose, all 2005īs did it, thought it was specific for this year (???), just that hose not means pcv is bad , mine is OK, 160,000 miles running always synthetic oil ...
    I guess I'm wondering how you know your PCV isn't plugged up? did you ever have the service done?

My '07 had that exact problem with the PCV hose. At my dealer, I paid for parts and got in with the tech to do the labor for free since he was already doing brakes and some other stuff. Would've been right around $250 completed for just the hose if I was charged for labor, if I remember right. Anyway, try to open the oil cap after the car has been running for a while. If it doesn't open, you need a new PCV valve. I'd just replace the hose for now.
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Volvoholic View Post
    My '07 had that exact problem with the PCV hose. At my dealer, I paid for parts and got in with the tech to do the labor for free since he was already doing brakes and some other stuff. Would've been right around $250 completed for just the hose if I was charged for labor, if I remember right. Anyway, try to open the oil cap after the car has been running for a while. If it doesn't open, you need a new PCV valve. I'd just replace the hose for now.
    I might just do that. The dealer I bought it from will do the hose under used car warranty but I didn't want to do that only to find out some time later that I have other issues related to closing up the system again but with other plugged up parts. Hence my questions about determine if other areas might be plugged up and require total job anyway.

Great advice thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast