Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 05 Lava I just bought (in classifieds)
    While checking it out we noticed the 12" smaller squiggly PCV hose was broken, the one from the box to the intake.
    Naturally it had no pressure,
    Bought a new hose, sneaked it in with pretty much not too much drama and VOILA, tons of pressure...PCV IS GOOD!
    Luckily this must have happened recently
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Red face PCV not PVC

Quote Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
    Please guys PCV not PVC

PCV is Positive Crankcase Ventilation and it's what causes Volvo-grief.
    PVC is Poly Vinyl Chloride and it's a type of plastic.

Of course some pieces of PCV might be made of PVC
    Yes, sorry, some of us have smartphones with auto correct which can embarrass us sometimes. Thanks.
    2004 XC70 2.5 T5 AWD 150K Mobil 1
    2000 VW Passat Wagon V6 150K Castrol
    2000 Tacoma PreRunner 190K Castrol
    2000 Isuzu Trooper 4WD 140K Castrol

the 12" smaller squiggly PCV hose was broken, the one from the box to the intake.
    That hose goes from the trap to the cam cover port, and it's called the upper PCV hose. It's a common breakage item requiring about 20 minutes to replace.

tons of pressure...PCV IS GOOD!
    Tons of pressure = PCV BAD/PLUGGED!!!!! YOU DON"T WANT PRESSURE.......you want VACUUM!!!!! Why do you think a rubber shop glove gets sucked into the oil filler hole???

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

NEGATIVE pressure (we have a gauge)
    That was the correct term

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

(we have a gauge)
    Called a manometer.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

It's homemade so I'll call it a gauge

Default will this kit PCV kit work on a 05 volvo xc70?

I tried FCP euro for a 05 Volvo xc70 PCV kit but it's not available. i'm assuming that I have to piece it together myself?

I might as well do my timing belt tensioner water pump etc etc.. i'm getting close to 100k mark..

thanks,

J

Quote Originally Posted by guyeye View Post
    Chiming in here because I just did my 2004 over the holidays in my freezing driveway. Don't cheap out and try to clean it. Sure, some of the various pipes and connectors could be cleaned, but at this age, everything is getting brittle. And you're gonna have everything apart anyway.
    BTW- the same kit at FCP Euro is $284.00.
    Tips: Just drain the coolant and replace it with nice fresh Volvo blue coolant at the end of the job. This saves you a whole lot of grief, and you probably need to do it anyway.
    Related to above: You will need a new thermostat housing gasket, because you will spend WAY too much time trying to tighten the far left manifold bolt if you don't, and you will wonder why the heck you didn't just take the dang thermostat off and do it properly!
    Make sure you have an assortment of copper washers on hand to seal the two banjo bolts. There are two on each, and I lost at least one washer on each while trying to thread them (by far, the worst part of the job).
    Happy Wrenching!

I bought my kit from IPD, very complete, including new banjo bolts, all the little O rings, worked out perfect. I also bought a new ETM gasket. I found that doing this job with the front wheels on ramps made it much easier on the back!
    PDX-Vancouver, USA

2005 XC70 140,000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12