Default Well, she's dead. Sell for scrap? Volvo dealer willing to give me $650 for her?

Well my 3 year relationship with my 02 V70XC is over. Buyers remorse as I failed to do my homework and had problems with the tranny almost from day 1.

Things wrong:
    • transmission slips
    • instrument cluster is out (happened two months ago)
    • turbo blown (last Sunday)
    • head gasket leak
    • ventilation system baffle broken - no AC when it's more than 85 degrees out
    • noisy angle gear

She only had 161k. She still runs but blows plumes of dense white smoke right out the tail pipe due to the failed turbo.

I'm pulling the trigger on an 07 XC70 that's being sold by the local Volvo dealer that I feel pretty confident about. I will be diligent of making sure it gets proper care.

The dealer is "giving" me $650 for her, she's pretty flawless from the outside but is basically a shell of non functioning parts.

Is it worth it to part out some key parts and make a few more bucks than $650 or should I be happy with their generous offer to take her off my hands? I don't have a garage when I can keep her while I dismantle her but considering we have a junk yard that will give me $500 for her running or not, I wonder if I should try to take some things out of it (rear view mirror, dog netting, side mirrors, third row seating, or anything you else you feel is key....).

Thanks for listening.

Jeni

If you have the time, space, tools and inclination you will net more from the car by parting it out. Pictures of the car in its current condition can help us know whether or not there are a lot of parts worth selling. You don't say where you are located, but remember that most of the things you remove and sell will need to be boxed up and shipped to a buyer. Then, when you have parted out as much as you think you can, you still have to do something with the remains.

All that being said, sometimes it's better to just take the money and run.
    2004 Volvo C70 LT
    2002 Volvo V70 XC
    1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

Not THAT much, not worth the time IMO
    No engine, no tranny, no angle gear, high mileage interior etc.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Take whatever you can out of it before you trade it to dealer or scrapyard.
    You can get at least $500 for the third row seating, $80 for the dog nets.
    Good Luck
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

I would pull the 3rd row and dog net for your new car.

You won't get much for her (sorry) as all the key parts are shot. Parting it out is a hassle and not worth your time.

Enjoy your new car!
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I take the driver side mirror if it has the puddle light, memory and heater.....

Where is it located?

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Thanks guys - I thought about pulling the 3rd row seating but looking at the pictures/listings on Ebay, I would have missed a screw, bolt, or some other integral part behind. :-(

I owned Saabs for 20 years before making the switch to her cousin in 2010. When I handed my key over to the dealer Wednesday night, I broke down bawling in the parking lot because I didn't feel like I did enough for her! In the short 3 years I had her, we traveled the country racing mountain bikes (we race on the National level). It was totally hilarious and irrational. I think it was right then, when my boyfriend realized why I refused to look at Subaru's. I just loved that car so much. We had a few laughs and some beers to celebrate the new car. I'm loving it!

I did pull the dog nets though.

Even though we put oil in her before we left the driveway, we had to stop and grab two more quarts of oil at the gas station RIGHT NEXT to the Volvo dealer (they shared the same driveway) so the oil light would go off again (miraculously the instrument cluster decided to work on the way there - as if a "please, I'll behave" gesture). We only had a 15 mile drive but it lost that much oil out the turbo and gaskets. I don't think I could have timed the final drive any better!

Sorry you had to let her go, but good luck worth the '07! I sure love mine!

And yeah, Subaru ain't got nothing on Volvo!
    Silver '07 Adventure Series