Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A few questions about V70 AWD suspension on my 03 XC70, and tire size question

Found a lot of info through searches, but still some questions specific to my wants.. I don't want "lowering springs' (ie Eibach etc) but I want it more of a normal wagon height. A few questions & concerns:

• I use the car for work and always have ~150-200 lbs in the back. I DO NOT want it to look saggy! When its loaded up which is 95% of the time.
    • I just bought new 18" Atlantis reps & 235/50/18 tires. Will these fit an XC with V70 AWD height? Because thats much bigger tire diameter than the V70 AWD specs for..
    • I saw not only spring differences, but some posts said the struts have different lengths & mounting perch height for the springs. Do I "need" to use one or the other? If both are possible options, the pro's & con's of each? Ride & height wise..

As stated, I am not looking to slam or tuck the car. Just be more normal height instead of lifted XC height. Ride quality is important to me for this car. Thanks in advance, and hopefully these answers will help future searchers as well..

Quote Originally Posted by ENDEE666 View Post
    [*]I just bought new 18" Atlantis reps & 235/50/18 tires. Will these fit an XC with V70 AWD height? Because thats much bigger tire diameter than the V70 AWD specs for..
    An XC calls for a 215/65R 16 tire stock. According to the site linked below, the new tires will fit with stock suspension. However, your speedometer will read about 1% too slow. Probably not a big deal. Also keep in mind that Volvo fits some cars with steering limiters when they are equipped with 17" or 18" wheels & tires. I don't know if they would apply in your situation. Given the fact that the turning radius of an XC is 39 feet already, I don't know if I'd want to put in steering limiters.

If you lower your car, you may run into difficulties. But I have to ask, why would you buy tires for a vehicle if you didn't know whether or not they would fit?

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    2004 Volvo C70 LT
    2002 Volvo V70 XC
    1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

The tires I bought will fit an XC perfectly fine. That was not the question. The question is how they would fit an XC that was lowered with V70 AWD suspension..
    03 XC70, stock. 01 A6 2.7T Stg3+, 6MT, 11.8 @ 119mph 1/4mi.

That was not the question. The question is how they would fit an XC that was lowered with V70 AWD suspension..
    Yeah, I got that. Seems like you're heading into uncharted waters. Let us know how it goes.
    2004 Volvo C70 LT
    2002 Volvo V70 XC
    1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

Yes, this is interesting. I'm watching.

Why do I get this every time I try to post?

"Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting."

I swear in my searches I saw some running 235/4/185 or 245/45/18 with V70 AWD springs. I even recall seeing an XC with stock wheels/tires on V70R Evolve springs..

From what I gathered, 2 factors make the XC higher suspension wise. Spring length as well as spring perch location.

I was hoping Ocean Racer, AthruC, ifnt420 or Chilled Man would chime in since they all have lowered XC's..

Further looks at Ocean Racer's thread from a while back, he runs 235/50/18 on his lowered XC. It stated S60 AWD springs, but not sure if they are stock or AWD Eibachs or something. Hopefully he swings by here to shed some light for me & those interested. I sent him a PM, and will share info if I get any..

Further looks at Ocean Racer's thread from a while back, he runs 235/50/18 on his lowered XC. It stated S60 AWD springs, but not sure if they are stock or AWD Eibachs or something. Hopefully he swings by here to shed some light for me & those interested. I sent him a PM, and will share info if I get any..
    Ocean Racer used stock S60 AWD springs. I run 225/55/18 on my stock xc70 with zero issues. I started a thread called "Lets see you lowered XC70" as I too wanted to lower mine. A couple pictures to give you an idea of ride height and tire sizes. I never got around to it, but I do have some S60 AWD springs if you're interested.

I saw that thread as well, and that was where I got some ideas too. And yes, I may want those once I sort out exactly what (else) I need for my result. PM me a price & condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast