Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Imported post

Hi all,
     New to the board and am looking to trade in my Volvo 850 Sportwagon...Trying to decide between the Xc90 and the Xc70...I live in NYC and my 850 has been eaten alive by the potholes....From a technology point of view is the Xc90 a much superior car to the Xc70?? I am not planning on going off road,just want a car that is rugged and can eat up potholes and perform well in the snow???Other than asthetics what are the reasons to purchase the Xc90 over the Xc70...Is it safe to assume the Xc70 gets better milage,handles and accelerates better and is significantly cheaper to puchase??Any help is appreciated

Default Imported post

Hello Tahoe and welcome to the forum!!!
    I live in NYC as well and had my XC for 1 1/2 years. I had a 1998 V70 before the XC and the pothholes did a number on that car too. The XC is a perfect machine for the city. It has plenty of rubber to absorb the worst pothholes. After all the snow storms and the salt, the roads right now are in pretty bad shape in the city, and the XC handles them perfectly. Manuvrability is great too, only if the acceleration would react a little earlier to my right foot, but you get used to that. And the new XC70's have that problem solved anyway.
    As for the XC90, I havent driven it, only sat in it once. If you do a search on this forum, you will find detailed test drive reports by other members of the forum. My impression from those reports is that the XC70 is a better car in most, if not all, aspects (handling, acceleration, milage, price...). For further info go to the XC90 section of these forums. Here is one link:

http://xc70.com/cgi-bin....hl=xc90

Hope that helps!
    Klim
    '01 XC, Platinum Green, Tow Hitch, Thule Roof Rack

Default Imported post

thanks xcny,
      I am leaning towards the Xc70,especially since the xc90 is in its first year and they are not discounting it at all..Do people just lean towards the xc90 because it doesnt have the "station wagon" stigma???

It seems to me the xc70 is a much better all around vehicle without the "sex appeal"

Default Imported post

Welcome!

I own a 2002 XC70 and have tested a 2003 XC90.  My initial impressions were that the XC70 has better acceleration even though the XC90 had the larger engine.  The XC70 had better ride control less lateral type motions.  I like the XC70 interior better.

You should drive them yourself and get the one you like.  You won't be disappointed either way.  I believe both are just as rugged in the suspension dept.  Depending what the potholes are doing to your 850 (tires, rims?) you may not find any car that can protect you.

Steve
    2005 XC 42,500 miles .....and gone
    Barents Blue with Taupe
    Premium
    Convenience
    Climate (no IAQS, damn....damn)

Missing (but not as much as before) the 2002 XC 42K
    Platinum Green with Taupe
    Premium
    Convenience
    Climate

Default Imported post

Having the similar dilemma, I drove both extensively.  Initially, I was impressed by the wow factor of the T6 XC90.  Then I drove the XC70 2002 and 2003, then back to the 2.5T XC90.  

Here is a selected summary of my observations/decision:

The XC90 is a very capable vehicle, but I was not impressed with the 2.5T (sluggish) and the T6 with the GM engine is too expensive for what you get IMO.  The 2.5T seems very sluggish in the XC90 (heavier), compared to its swift performance in the XC70.  

The XC90 is very nicely appointed, but too fluffy and luxurious for my taste.  It is fad-forward, and although it still has Sweden written on it, there is a Ford influence if you ask me.  Packages on the XC90 add up to quickly.  Period.

The handling of the two vehicles is very similar, but I felt more confident in the XC70.  The high ground clearance and the low roofline make the best of both worlds.  The cargo carrying capability is quite similar, but I found the design of the XC70 more practicle in terms of design/usability.

There is virtually no difference in the drivetrain and suspension systems in the XC70 and XC90 2.5T models, but the standard features are different- the XC70 has far more.  The optional packages for the XC70 are better put together and cheaper in comparsion as well.

If you are considering the OSD purchase option, the XC70 gains a significant price advantage.  Significant.  

The gas mileage advantage for the XC70 is, percentage wise, statistically significant.  

The XC70 is a proven model at this point (IMO- on its fourth year)  The XC90 is still an infant.  One comes from a tradition of a long line of wagons, the other a fresh approach to a relatively new market segment.  Both are correct, but I trust the heritage of the XC70 more.  

Aesthetics aside, the buyer profile for the XC90 in San Francisco was a  little disturbing on my trips to the dealers in the area.  (Bluntly: I do not want to be viewed as a elitist pig that is afraid to get their starched khakis dirty.)  The XC70 signals an altogether different approach to life.  One salesperson noted..."Its a great car, I'd love one...but when I drive it I'm afraid I'll scratch it or get it too dirty..."   Do you hear that about the XC70 or the V70?  This, I feel is not necessarily an image created by Volvo, but one of user opinion, active feedback, and time-tested preferences.  Volvo's are built to be safe, practical, and well appointed- but there is a point when luxury takes away from the heritage Volvo has built over the last 75 years.  That divergence will surely attract new buyers and retain customers whose social position has shifted, but it also will turn off those who view it as divergent from the ideas that built Volvo in the first place.
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

The Wagon stigma is coming full circle.... the CUV is the next big "marketing" push here in NA from the looks of the concepts at teh auto shows.  

Along those lines, I view the Volvo wagon as a statement of sorts.  It says a lot about the people who drive them... an a lot about the company that has made its name producing a wagon all these years.... with Volvo, the fact that your driving one categorizes you in the first place.  I am happy with any categorization that actually fits and remains honest.
    Current Volvos
    2012 XC70, OSD, Twilight Bronze/Espresso
    2008 C70, OSD, Celestial Blue/Cream Sovereign

Former Volvos
    2009 XC70 Oyster/Black
    2006 S60R Black Sapphire/Nordkap
    2003 XC70, OSD, Ash/Espresso
    2000 S40, Ice White/Black

Default Imported post

I appreciate the input...And you are all saying what i had suspected,though i thought there might be some significant technological advances the xc90 had over the xc70..In fact,I called Volvo directly and posed this question to them and the best they could come with is that the xc90 sits higher than the xc70 and that the xc90 gives you a choice of 2 engines..Of course at a significant $$$ cost...

Lowtide,I hear what you are saying...I have a home out in the hamptons and EVERYONE has an SUV and wouldnt get mud on their shoes let alone on their SUV....Unless someone tells me one significant and practical reason i should spend thousands more for the XC90,i am sticking with the xc70..thanks all

Default Imported post

And as soon as you put a Thule rack or rocket box on top of your new XC90, NYC parking will be pretty limited

Default Imported post

thats actually a very good point..not to mention most garages hit you for a hefty premium to park an suv

Default Imported post

Having owned SUv's since IH Scouts(they were called 4X4's), my Jeep now sits forelornly in the driveway. Displaced by two XC's. The XC's are faster, Handle much better, ride better and are far more comfortable on long trips. They are easier to load things on top. They are much more reliable. They have long since displaced the Jeep for any type of outdoor activity and off road driving. The Jeep is only good for extreme off road situations and deep(>14&quot snow. For some reason, we(Americans) need to have the biggest things around. Now, your prestige is measured in how big and how fast is your SUV. Kinda like P@@#s envy. Why anyone would want a MB, BMW or Porsche SUV is beyond my comprehension let alone an Expedition or other such vehicle. The most hysterical part of the difference between the two vehicles is that they are basically the same! -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast