Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I am afraid it is a known issue, even a weakness.
    See for example this thread:
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...034-Rear-hatch
    As has been noted above, it is not safe to use a higher fuse rating, the wiring may not be up to it.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Wow! That is some serious wiring damage!! That crap could cause a fire.

Indeed, although fuses will probably prevent the worse from happening, it is a serious issue!
    I feel that, knowing that these wires will be bent a lot, the manufacturer should
    have anticpated this by providing more flexible wiring (such as breaded wires)
    in a more flexible (also in cold temperatures) insulation.
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Digging this up again to post a picture of how Volvo is doing the wiring harness on the tailgat now.

Hopefully changed enough to take care of work hardening of the wires.

This reply is a little late but I had to make my comment. I cut into the wire bundle at the rear cargo door hinge and found 3 wires that were completely severed. Just like described by XCHauler I spliced/soldered and re-taped and behold, all marker lights, and license plate lights now work. The wires not severed were simply taped. Hopefully this will last awhile but I suspect the problem will occur again. Many thanks to XCHauler and others for the advice. I only wish I had read the VolvoXC.com forum earlier before I completely disassembled the rear light assembly and replaced all the bulbs. I went through about 25 10 amp fuses in the process. Would you believe that the same problem occurred for me years ago with my '87 240DL? Thanks again! Tacoman

Let me add my experience. Had the same problem with the right tail light and license plate light, burnt the fuse every time I tried to change it. For me, it was wiring for the tow hitch. Finally, they had to change the whole cable (order it from Sweeden).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12