Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Rear Tail Lights Not Working!

My right side tail lights including the backup light and rear fog light do not work. In addition the left brake light works intermittently, and will illuminate only if I bang on the side of the rear light housing. I have replaced lamps and the light sockets for the brake light and the tail light, but this problem persists. I have check fuses in the rear cargo fuse block and they seem OK. I used a multi-meter to check the lower taillight socket and I did not get any voltage readings, which seems like it is not receiving any power. The turn indicator on the right side works fine! I checked each socket to make sure the lamp was seated properly and cleaned all metal contact surfaces that were in contact with the socket with a Dremel tool. I have removed both tail lamp assemblies (top and bottom) and have examined each of them and they seem to be OK.

The left side tail light assembly works normally with no problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

XCHauler

Another update on this lighting issue is that I noticed that the front right marker lamp is also not working. I checked the bulb and it is OK. The rear wiper also does not work.

Has anyone else experienced these problems?

XCHauler

I experienced this. Tap on the housing, the light works. This is because the filament is broken yet capable of touching when you rattle it. Very hard to see when you're looking at the bulb. Replace your bulbs.

I have another update on my lighting issues. I discovered that the fuse (10amp) for the side marker and parking light was defective although it looked fine. I replaced the fuse and presto the front and rear parking lights illuminated. When I started my car to move it out of the garage, the fuse blew again. I tried another fuse (15 amp) and when I turned the light switch to the parking lights this fuse blew also. I even tried a 20 amp fuse and this fuse blew immediately.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this would be appreciated!

XCHauler

Short to ground. Ramping up the current capability will cause a fire. Stop while you are ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Short to ground. Ramping up the current capability will cause a fire. Stop while you are ahead.
    This!
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

I had to replace both of my upper tail lamp assemblies because internal corrosion was over-driving the bulbs and blowing them instantly.

I finally figured out what the problem was after searching the web for a few weeks. Apparently there is a design flaw with the wires that are bundled in the rear cargo door hinge. When I removed the electrical tape and cut the protective sheath off the wires about 4” down with a razor blade, I noticed that most of the wires had been severed or left exposed. There are 11 wires that are in this wiring bundle. Four of the wires were completely severed and the rest of the wires were exposed. I repaired and soldered all the wires and used electrical tape with shrink tubing. Then I taped the original sheathing which I had cut with electrical tape, and then wrapped the wiring with protective tubing.

Not so much a design flaw as life at work. Years of opening and closing the rear hatch did the wiring in.
    Over the years all manufacturers have tried to design the wiring harnesses to prevent this. It is more common on the doors, especially the drivers door, but can hit pretty much any door that has wiring going to it.
    The good thing is that you found and fixed the problem.

Default Damaged wires at cargo door

Here are some images of the wire bundle that was causing so many headaches for me and my repair. Hopefully this solves my problem

XCHauler
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-3.jpg   1-2.jpg   1-1.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast