Default New Volvo family member? 2005 xc90 V8

Hi everyone,

First of all thank you all for the great information posted on this forum. I have been reading a ton of material since my wife and I test drove a xc90 last week. We are actually about to put ink to paper on a 2005 xc90 V8 ...however I have one concern that is a make-it-or-break-it answer for me ...that has not been answered by the dealer after 3 phone calls this week.

I have read many stories from people confessing about the counter balance bearings deteriorating and causing catastrophic engine failure. I also understand that this issue applies to early 2005 V8s with an engine serial # 1 up to about #6883 ? All others after this cutoff should be fine from my understanding with the solution to drill a hole in the engine block (so water will not settle). Since I couldn't get an answer from the dealer (35 minutes away or else I would do it myself) I have come here asking for help.
    I did some more digging on the VIN of this suv (manufactured 3/30/2005) and was able to pull back a "Serial Number" of #201284 .. I'm not sure what serial number this # is referring to but that is where your help comes in. I was hoping somebody who has experienced this issue on the V8 could check their VIN on this website below and see if the serial number is valid and falls into the range of (1-6883). Or I have no problem checking your VIN myself if you prefer.
    The website I am using is: www.vin-decoder.net

Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated before I make a potentially (very) costly mistake.... Thank you

Well, I say better safe than sorry. I would buy a year without problems, rather than gamble with serial numbers. When conducting my search on XC90S, I was told buy a service manager that I had become to know pretty well, thanks to my p.o.s Land Rover, who was both service manager for LR and Volvo here in Ottawa, that the 2.5T engine and transmission combo, where by far the most reliable that Volvo had ever used in their cars.

With this said, if you absolutely need a gas guzzling V8, go with a safe year.

Quote Originally Posted by steph View Post
    if you absolutely need a gas guzzling V8, go with a safe year.
    Agreed, go with a 2006 or newer to be safe and actually, the V8 does pretty well in the MPG department... If I were to get an XC90 again, I'd probably get get the 2.5T because shelling out $3,000 for the balance shaft repair was not fun, but everytime I pass someone or merge with this 300hp V8 it makes me grin, so at least its worth something! That being said, the wife's next one will be a Q7. Equal in terms of safety, and much better reliability overall... and the leather seats and interior pieces don't crack to bits! : )
    2005 XC90 V8
    157k miles and climbing

2003 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Cummins
    212k and climbing

1995 Audi 90 quattro Sport
    187k and climbing