Default 2001 V70 XC transmission drops out after stopping

I recently purchased a 2001 V70 XC that so far I am very happy with. It has one minor issue. After stopping, the car seems to drop into neutral while the brake is on. If I let off the brake it makes a very subtle jerk and is back in gear. The problem was much worse before I upgraded my etm to the contactless sacer, but is now still present but much less noticeable. I've also noticed that this seems to coincide with the speedo dropping to zero (usually around 5 km/h or less.) If I slide the shifter to manual mode (1st) gear this doesn't happen, It acts completely normal. Otherwise the tranny functions perfectly shifting much smoother than either of my 94 850 turbos!
    Any suggestions out there? I just today drained and replaced 4 liters of tranny fluid and intend to do another couple drain and refills at 20km intervals.
    One other thing: When I first got the car the abs/tracs (brake failure stop safely asap) error was appearing so I repaired the abs module and haven't had any issues with that since. Speed sensor? ?

Do some reading, post your mileage and I'm afraid the transmission has never been upgraded to remove the dreaded stop neutral software that destroys 2001 transmissions
    (and I sure hope you used the correct 3309 fluid or your tranny will get worse)

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ansmission-die
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...+transmissions
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...+transmissions
    Last edited by JRL; 12-08-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

JRL - I just sent you a private message with VIN asking if you could look up the details/packages on my 2006 XC70. Did you receive it? I am showing no messages in my sent folder...
    (sorry for the thread interuption)...

Hi JRL,

220000km and yes I used 3309 fluid. I've only done some of the reading, but is my best bet to get a software upgrade?
    Thanks a million!

Yeah.......
    I find it hard to believe that in 160K miles this has never been upgraded and the stop neutral removed
    Can't believe the tranny is still together
    Anyhow Volvo will tell you if it's had the software or not

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

update: i brought my car to the dealer this morning to update the software and it turns out it had never been updated. The tranny now functions perfectly, no more stop neutral. i dont know any of the history of this car, but by the condition its in, it was probably highway driven. I do know that is was also not a city car. anyway, fingers crossed for a good run out of the transmission.
    As far as completeing my drain refill, any comments on reommended interval between each drain refill?
    again thanks very much for your straight ahead approach and knowledge!

At those miles?
    I would do a single drain and fill (3+ quarts) every oil change or wait until 15-18K miles and do a complete fluid change
    Only you will know, look at the fluid.