Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

I do about 23-24mpg over 336 miles at 80 with no A/C when I can. It's always better when I don't have to pass rigs or other drivers on 5. Also, higher numbers when it's warmer out. Probably due to the summer gas.
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...

Summer gas == more ethanol == less energy.

Cold air has higher density.
    2002 V70 (sold)
    2005 XC70 (Telos Road took it. Did a chassis swap)
    2016 XC60 (sold, P.O.S.)

I started this thread and I have to update it now as I have now been regularly achieving 25 mpg highway. I had a bad fuel pressure sensor, it was not causing a CEL but it ultimately started to fail and cause my motor to stall. Since replacing it I have had up to 27.4 mpgs on the highway (calculated, dash reading is always low) and I averaged over 25 on a recent trip from SLC to Phoenix and back with lots of side trips, dirt roads and an extended highway run, over 200 miles, at 80 mph.

Please see details in the new thread I started here:
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...205#post169205

I am now daily driving the car for a bit so see how my city mileage is affected. Looks promising. I'm sitting at about 21-22 mpgs now, with a lot of stop and go. Previously I would be lucky to get 18 in those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    I started this thread and I have to update it now as I have now been regularly achieving 25 mpg highway. I had a bad fuel pressure sensor, it was not causing a CEL but it ultimately started to fail and cause my motor to stall. Since replacing it I have had up to 27.4 mpgs on the highway (calculated, dash reading is always low) and I averaged over 25 on a recent trip from SLC to Phoenix and back with lots of side trips, dirt roads and an extended highway run, over 200 miles, at 80 mph.

Please see details in the new thread I started here:
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...205#post169205

I am now daily driving the car for a bit so see how my city mileage is affected. Looks promising. I'm sitting at about 21-22 mpgs now, with a lot of stop and go. Previously I would be lucky to get 18 in those conditions.
    Good job and glad to see you got your XC back to where it should be in term of MPG.

Default Recent trip

Drove from SLC, UT to CA over Thanksgiving in my 02 XC70. Freeway speeds were 80 and 90 mph and I averaged 23 mpg with a car-top carrier. Current city mpg is about 22 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    This is really killing me. I've now put about 12k on the car, mostly trips. and I think my best tank of gas was 24mpg. My car has good tires inflated to 42psi cold, new air filter, fuel filter and plugs. I run 91 octane fuel, which is premium here. It runs perfectly, cruises smooth and has no codes. I just got an alignment after replacing a bad control arm and hoped the bad arm was causing a problem but my last 1500 mile trip was exactly the same 20.7 average. When I accelerate my RPMs rarely go over 2500 and NEVER go over 3k. My cruising RPMs are about 2800

I drive my car easy and usually beat what most people get in a particular model. That said, on my normal highway trip from Salt Lake to Bend, OR (done 3 times now in the XC) I get barely 21. I live in the West where speed limits are 75 so my standard highway cruising speed is about 80. I have read a bunch on here about folks getting mid, even upper, 20s for highway gas mileage. I was expected MUCH better than I'm getting. I have to drive extra carefullly (egg under the accelerator careful) to break 20 in mixed driving

Is there something wrong with my car or are those people getting mid to high 20s driving 55?

Thanks HanksDad. See my update a few posts up. My car did have a problem lurking beneath the surface, it took a long time to materialize as a obvious problem (about 20k I've owned the car) and never gave me a CEL. If you live in SLC and haven't visited Utah Imports for Volvo work, give them a try. They have helped me with a lot of scanning for no charge and seem very knowledgeable on these cars.

Slightly flippant note here, but, if you have to ask what it costs to run an army ... you cannot afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbw View Post
    Slightly flippant note here, but, if you have to ask what it costs to run an army ... you cannot afford it.
    You've got to stop using the internet when you've been drinking.
    On the other hand, you've got me intrigued. Do people often give you a quizzical look when you engage in conversation?
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak
    English Shepherd option installed in rear.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbw View Post
    Thereby...no one can afford to run an army. So, we might stop wasting our time/money.

With that weight off my mind I should be able to squeeze out another 1-2 MPGs

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011