Default Handling - Very Pleasantly Surprised!

As my screen name suggests, I've been involved in the sport of rally racing for over a decade.

I purchased a 2002 Volvo V70 XC about two weeks ago, and went up to the Rally of the Tall Pines for work. Just came back from having the chance to run the car on one of the closed spectator stages, and damned if I wasn't surprised! The slightest of flicks coupled with a big wad of throttle resulted in smooth, steady four-wheel drifts. Like a classic rally car, once sideways I could steer the car with throttle, and a brief lift was all that was needed to transition the car from one direction to the other.

At the end of the stage, I had a very muddy car and a big, stupid grin on my face. I bought my Volvo for all of the right practical reasons, but I'm very pleasantly surprised to find that it's actually fun to drive.

-Adam

I'd love to see video of that!
    2003 XC70 with 345,000 km (214,370 mi)

You have got to be kidding if you think a stock 02 XC handles well
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

It must have been pretty muddy out there as I can't imagine my XC-70 getting many accolades. I enjoy the ride but its closer to a whale (my Mercedes driving wife's words) than a spirited machine.
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

I used to stage rally back in the StoneAge in a Datsun 510 and I can tell you my XC even with the Eibachs doesn't come close to what the Datsun could offer in regard to gravel stage handling. Too much mass and the steering is too slow. Throttle, with the auto tranny, reacts too slowly IMHO. I'd take my 510 over an XC on a gravel stage any day.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Gents,

I'm certainly not saying that it's the best car handling car I've driven, and believe me, I've driven several in conditions such as this. What I am saying is simply that it wasn't the plodding, dim-witted, house-on-wheels I expected it to be. Is it a stage rally car? Not at all. Is it adequate for club-level rally crosses and drivex TSDs? Absolutely. My conclusion after a weekend of driving on loose surfaces: I am going to have a lot more fun in this car than I expected.

-Adam

Nothing wrong with that! Everyone has their own opinions on "fun to drive".

Heck, my dog slow 15 year old Jeep with worn out steering and suspension can be fun to drive under certain conditions! On a twisty mountain road, not so much, but after a blizzard with 1-2 feet of snow on the ground, it's an absolute frickin' blast!!

And good to know there's fun to be had with these cars!