Default '99 V70 XC B5245T VVT Timing Question

3 weeks ago My '99 with 170K suffered a burnt exhaust valve, could have been caused by leaking valve seals, intake leak on that runner, lean injector,(are being tested now). Anyway, head is rebuilt with one new valve, valve job, pressure-tested and new followers and back on the engine. Since I'm in there, I've replaced all gaskets, hoses, head bolts, cam seals, turbo seals and gaskets, along with bypass diaphragm, flame trap system, waterpump, timing belt, idler and tensioner. I bought a cam/crank holding tool set and I am at the point of setting the timing belt, the crank is locked, the cams are locked, and this is my problem= the exhaust cam has Variable Valve Timing and the VADIS instructions and pictures make no sense. The instructions say clockwise, but the pictures show counterclockwise. The pictures are looking at the front of the engine, which would be backwards from their reference point. Is there anyone who is an expert with this and can give me a detailed instructions on setting the VVT and exhaust cam pulley or a link to a good instructional video on the net somewhere.

No one has ever had to time a VVT engine? JRL?

My mechanic does that.
    Something so critical I let an expert do it
    I've been there but most of the time when he does a belt or cam timing he tells me to go away, he doesn't want to talk, just concentrate
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Just got this from Ozark Lee at Matthews Volvo Site, this is what I've been looking for.

I just went through this a few weeks ago and, with the cam adjustment tool, it really isn't that difficult after you get past the crappy VADIS instructions. Without the tool it really can't be done.

Here is how I did it, the second time, once I had the tool.

1 ) Assure that the crankshaft is at the timing mark.

2 ) Install the cam lock tools.

3 ) Install the upper portion of the timing belt cover.

4 ) Install the intake camshaft sprocket, adjust the sprocket so that the timing mark is aligned with the timing mark. This should have the sprocket bolts at the midpoint of the slotted bolt holes.

5 ) Torque the intake cam sprocket bolts to 15 ft. lbs.

6 ) Install the CVVT actuator and the exhaust camshaft sprocket as a single unit with the sprocket bolts loose. Do not tighten the center bolt on the CVVT actuator.

7 ) Rotate the exhaust cam sprocket clockwise until the timing mark is 1 tooth before the timing mark. At this point the sprocket bolts should be all the way to the left hand stops on the slotted holes.

8 ) Tighten the center bolt on the CVVT actuator. Go slowly at first so as to avoid having the actuator rotate. Once the actuator bites on the end of the camshaft tighten the center bolt to 89 ft. lbs.

9 ) Install the center cap on the CVVT actuator unit. At this point the CVVT actuator unit should rotate, with resistance, in a clockwise direction.

10 ) Install the timing belt making sure that the belt is taught from the crankshaft sprocket, across the idler roller, and on to the intake camshaft sprocket. Before you thread the belt around to the exhaust camshaft sprocket you need to rotate the center cap on the CVVT actuator unit clockwise as far as it will go. Before the belt is threaded onto the exhaust camshaft sprocket, in addition to holding the CVVT actuator at the clockwise limit, the timing mark on the exhaust camshaft sprocket should be aligned to the timing mark.

11 ) Continue threading the timing belt until it is around the water pump and the tensioner. Adjust the tensioner until the indicator is in the window and then tighten down the locking bolt.

12 ) While the exhaust camshaft CVVT actuator is at its clockwise limit tighten the exhaust camshaft sprocket bolts to 8 ft. lbs (or snug, my torque wrench is worthless at that low of a setting). The exhaust camshaft sprocket bolts should not be at either limit in the slots.

13 ) Remove the cam adjustment tools and then rotate the engine by hand, clockwise, 2 revolutions and reset the tension on the tensioner. Check to assure that all of the timing marks are properly aligned.

At this point you should be ready to go. I start the car without the timing belt cover on so that I can re-check the tensioner after it runs for a few minutes.

...Lee

Update...
    Engine runs like it should, quiet, as good or better power under load than it did before. Ozark Lees' VVT instructions are perfect, the moderator should sticky them.
    Just a note to buyers of cam/crank holding tool sets, there are two possible thread pitches for the cam cover press tools, make sure the seller has defined which it is he is selling; ie, whatever your spark plugs threads are.
    In having my $1200 stuck into this rebuild, I didn't have the spare cash to snap up a 2001 XC70 on Craigslist for $1500, a southern clean car that needed "the engine replaced". Now, most of us know that a diagnosis like that from a dealer has many possibilities, with the actual need for replacement the least of them.
    I know alot of posters on the forum complain about repair costs, but let's put things into perspective, our cars are paid for, and in my case, $1200 is three or four payments on a new POS in our price range. I would much rather have the 13 year old Volvo than a new Focus or Impala.

I'm in the middle of a timing belt tensioner/VVT adjustment right now, and Ozark Lee on MVS has been a MAJOR help so far. I asked the same questions here, and got no responses at all.
    The current fleet:
    2006 Volvo XC90 T5
    1992 Audi S4
    2007 525xi
    1988 VW Scirocco 16v (autocrosser)