Question Advice for buying 1999 V70 XC?

Hello everyone!

I'm just looking for advice beyond what Google can offer me. I have only ever driven Volvos - currently and for the past 8 years a 1989 240. My '89 is on its last leg w/out a huge investment that I am not willing to do. However, no worries as it will be going back to its home in a different state where my parents' Volvo magician will likely be able to restore it back to its glory. I'm ready for an upgrade and I've been strongly considering a wagon. I've found what looks to me to be a great buy: 1999 V70 XC, 102,000 miles, clean Carfax w/ one owner, $5000. I am admittedly not very knowledgeable about vehicles but was wondering if there are any particular issues I should look for. I am planning to test drive it tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Just about everything.

Timing belt should already have been done, it's overdue (105K miles OR 7-10 years, $400-$600 depending on who does it). It breaks? goodbye engine!

Leaking bevel gear (AWD) gear, ($500 if leaking)

Vibrating/bad propshaft, ($435- $1000, rebuild vs new from Volvo)

Transmission should shift smoothly with no clunks or weird shifts

Check the oil for cleaniness and no "gunk" on the dipstick

Breather box (PCV) check. Pull the dipstick after the engine is warmed up, check for ANY smoke or puffs out of it.
    It you see anything, it's clogged and the cost is approx. $450-$600 for a complete re-do

Look for all the tires to be the same brand and tread depth, VERY important

Check the A/C for working and being very COLD. If not, it needs an evaporator, $1200-$1500)!

If the throttle body has not been changed it could crap out at anytime ($900 plus or minus)

Complete service records: if this owner (or dealer) does not have them, it can be dicey

Hope this helps a bit. All of the above are common things to look for and unfortunately is normal maintenance for thse vehicles.
    These are not a cheap to fix 240

If you're anywhere near the Northeast, I have two good ones for sale, a 98 and a 2000, both in that general price range and mileage
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Don't even THINK about buying an XC with ANY instrument panel lights on or with ANY transmission related problems!! These cars are really expensive to fix if you're paying someone else to work on them. I am a retired licensed Master Mechanic, (BMW, M-B, Nissan cars and Hon/Yam/Kaw/Suz motorcycles and I restore vintage British bikes as a small side income), I bought a 2000 V70XC to fix and flip last year and it has been one of the worst buys I've ever made. If you have to have one, get a manual trans FWD model that has been maintained to the absolute max. These cars have weak automatic transmissions, dodgy electrics and awful quality interior trim. Clean, fairly low mile 240, 740 and 760 cars are still out there. I have 2 242's, one a Turbo, the other a DL, love them. Friend owns import car salvage yard. While buying parts from him for my 2000 V70XC last week he said "Horrible cars, make a lot of money off 'em. Love em!"

You do realize that post was from November?!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Sorry, I didn't see that. My mistake. Hope they didn't get burned.