Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Imported post

Last week my wife got to test the laminated glass in the left rear door:  a rock came up from under a tire next to her and hit the window pretty squarely in the upper right corner.  It left a chip about 1/8" in diameter and 1/16" deep with about five cracks radiating out to the edges of the glass.  She obviously heard the impact but when she stopped to check the damage, she was looking at the door panel for paint damage.  When she didn't see anything obvious, she put the window up and down for the rest of the commute.  My 4 y.o. daughter was the one to see the cracks from the inside.  The window did not shatter like a normal side window would, but was "starred" like a windshield.  When she told me (over the phone), I pictured the backseat covered in pea-sized pieces of glass.  I have actually pressed on the glass pretty hard to see if it would flex but it's solid:  I am completely comfortable from a safety and security point to drive like this for another week until we can get into the dealer.  We've also got aftermarket tints but that film would only hold the shattered glass pieces together, not prevent the shattering like the laminated glass did.

Kudos to Volvo for providing real-world safety for my family!!

Tom
    2010 T6 - Climate, Convenience, Premium Audio, RSE, Moonroof, ABL
    2002 V70XC, sold to move to Japan

2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Default Imported post

Thanks for the report! I was wondering how well the side windows would perform. We go into Chicago a bit and I was thinking of Level II protection but the Volvo with 'Smash and Grab' may be enough. I really didn't want to purchase the BMW 750IL. -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Default Imported post

Budrichard,

What is a level II protection?  And why in Chicago?

Thomas
    Volvo XC70 2004, Nautic Blue metallic, Sport PKG (DSTC, Xenia, Bi-Xenon, ZF Servotronic) VNS, rear Skid Plate, Thule evolution

Default Imported post

Threat Level II is used for vest protection and it signifies up to 44 Mag if a I remember correctly
    Chicago or any big city with diversity can make an expensive vehicle standout. As a Nuclear Engineer, my mind is always analyzing everything in terms of safety which is of course why we drive Volvo's! -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Default Imported post

I am sorry but I live in Chicago (okay the suburbs) and I think you need to spend a little time outside your particle accelerator.

You make it seems like your going to get shot at as soon as you drive around in Chicago since a 44 is standard issue along with a belt and socks!  I've been in the worst parts of Chicago (accidently the first month I was here) and its not that bad ... and this coming form someone wo grew up in a small city of 800K in Canada... which we all know is made up of F*&@*&g polite quiet people who live in a frozen tundra year round except for the one month of summer, when the permafrost receedes a bit..

Please dont perpetuate sterotypes!  Its really harmful.

Default Imported post

I am sory for my earlier post but it really bothered me... okay I have had my rant ... Im taking off my postal uniform.... my skin isnt green anymore

Default Tailgate window too?

Does anyone know if the tailgate window is also shatter proof/resistant?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeXC70
    I think you need to spend a little time outside your particle accelerator.
    That was very very funny, haha but I have also to confess to the shooting thing. I was taught how to drive by a member of the security forces and it was always drumed into me about pulling up at stops and leaving enough room to get out of a shooting situation. Funny how silly things stick in your mind, even now I still leave room to escape and even funnier I often find myself looking around for where the 'suspect' might be hiding to take a pop at me.

Soon I hope they will release me for a little longer into the community!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tooberand
    Does anyone know if the tailgate window is also shatter proof/resistant?
    I believe it is laminated which will produce the small squares of glass if broken, somewhere I read about them producing inside out glass, that is, if the glass is smashed from the outside, its natural resistance is to fall out rather than into the car and therefore not to shower the people/goods inside.

Quote Originally Posted by AWD*V70XC
    I believe it is laminated which will produce the small squares of glass if broken,.
    No,no it's 'tother way 'round, laminated cracks like regular glass, but the plastic layer 'tween the two sheets hold the package together. Toughened glass breaks into very small pieces which aren't supposed to be sharp.
    Mike.

Mine: XC 70 Sport 2009 D5 Inscription Electric Blue.
    VNS, DSTC and 4C, BLIS, LDW ventilated leather ACC; Yummy.

All gone now - XC70 MY 13 SE LUX Flamenco red - goes better than the '09 even with its "Polestar plus" upgrade. I justy miss the PCC...

Hers: V60 Flamenco Red 215HP D5 (like above XC70 spec)

Default Tailgate window

Hi Tooberand,

The tailgate window isn't. It's for safety-reasons. If you drive into the water (or something else), that's the only way out. You can't distroy the other windows.

XCharlie
    XC 70 '04 Nautic Blue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast