Post can't remove key 2000 XC-SE....again

I inadvertantly left the ingition on overnight and the battery was totally drained. I pressed the shift release botton on the console and moved the shift lever to neutral and pushed the car back out of a long narrow driveway to the street so I could access it for a jump. When I positioned the car at the curb, I discovered I was unable to remove the key. This happened a few years ago and the dealer drilled out the barrel and ordered a factory barrel. After looking at my previous billing for the replacement and relaized the events were the same, I re-read the manual that states, turn the initioin to the first position, press down and hold the shift release and move the shifrt selector. I'm not sure if I had the ignition in the first poition or not. I can start and drive the car and turn it off, but can't remove the key. When I attempt to and move the key to ff, I can hear a very slight relay (??) click (sort of) sound. Anyone have this experience and recommend a solution other than replacing the barrel again? Thanks

If the shiftlock button is sticky and doesn't pop up or if the button you grab on shift lever doesn't pop back, either will not let the ignition lock cable return to rest position where the key can be turned those last few degrees that allows it to be removed. WD-40 sprayed on the SL button or into the button on shift knob usually frees them up and returns function.

Quote Originally Posted by cattlecar View Post
    If the shiftlock button is sticky and doesn't pop up or if the button you grab on shift lever doesn't pop back, either will not let the ignition lock cable return to rest position where the key can be turned those last few degrees that allows it to be removed. WD-40 sprayed on the SL button or into the button on shift knob usually frees them up and returns function.
    Excellent, thanks!

EUGbob

Well, the WD-40 hopefully will work in the long run but the SL botton was still lower than I remembered it being. The lever button was releasing free although I lubricated it anyway. I finally grabbed some pliers and lifted the SL button up....Viola' Key in hand. Needless to say, I'm keeping a set of pliers in the car! Thanks cattlecar for the advicce!

I was able to get the shiftlock button to come back up by hitting the console surface with the index finger knuckle of my right hand. Remember to put key back into the I position while doing this!
    00 V70XC AWD moondust 199K
    08 F250 4X4 gold suprcab 70K
    VCOA

dont forget to spray contact cleaner on the electric plug to the thing and silicone spray down the slot around where you pulled up on the button and work it back and forth( Ive found folks shoot soda etc when opening them down there and it gets sticky around that button over time)
    ------Robert

Another good reason that no open drinks are allowed in my car...

'98 " Last of the Good Ones!" V70 R
    Upsolute ECU - E-Codes/SilverStars - ArcticGrade Oil Lines - HD SkidPlate - Spoiler - XC Grill -