Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hmmm. not fully sure what you mean...This picture (borrowed from t'internet) may help:

There's a "bevel drive" at the front of the vehicle, I don't believe it shares the same fluid as the TF80-SC gearboxes. I haven't changed mine yet (it's supposedly "sealed for life"), but there is a P2 link here which may help: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=9&t=30663

The Haldex unit is at the rear of the vehicle, and also has a seperate oil, and is supposedly also "sealed for life" (but I'll change it one day)...

If you do go ahead - please write-up the process to help others (and me )
    2009 xc70 SE Geartronic
    2012 Land Rover Defender "Puma" 2.4
    BMW K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
    Hmmm. not fully sure what you mean...This picture (borrowed from t'internet) may help:

There's a "bevel drive" at the front of the vehicle, I don't believe it shares the same fluid as the TF80-SC gearboxes. I haven't changed mine yet (it's supposedly "sealed for life"), but there is a P2 link here which may help: http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=9&t=30663

The Haldex unit is at the rear of the vehicle, and also has a seperate oil, and is supposedly also "sealed for life" (but I'll change it one day)...

If you do go ahead - please write-up the process to help others (and me )
    I want to do so. I need to do more recearch for which fluid are using Heldex drive and Bevel drive at front.

Thanks

I will try it next weekend. I took my 2001 XC to get parts at the dealer and i was also told not to change the transmission fluid. That the transmission gets used to running with all that stuff and if its cleaned, it can fail sooner.

I am still thinking about it but may just change it. Can anybody tell me where to get the transmission fluid?

Thanks

I usually use Opie Oils - good service and competitive prices...
    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-fi...-finder-2.aspx
    2009 xc70 SE Geartronic
    2012 Land Rover Defender "Puma" 2.4
    BMW K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by climbca View Post
    I will try it next weekend. I took my 2001 XC to get parts at the dealer and i was also told not to change the transmission fluid. That the transmission gets used to running with all that stuff and if its cleaned, it can fail sooner.

I am still thinking about it but may just change it. Can anybody tell me where to get the transmission fluid?

Thanks
    Your nearest Toyota dealer - Toyota T-IV ATF
    Pierre

2016 V40 D4 AT
    2010 XC60 3.0T AT
    2004 Mazda Miata 1.8 - My new toy and restoration project ... Not everything you do in life has to be rational!

Gone: 2015 V40 D3 AT, 2002 V70XC 2.4T AT, 2007 S60 2.5T Manual, 2004 S60 2.0T Manual, 1996 850 GLT Manual

Since this forum also deals with the most recent XC70 models it might be worthwhile to note that the ATF specification set forth by Volvo for the TF-80SC transmission has changed a couple times in recent years and it no longer JWS-3309.

The 2009 XC70 owners manual specifies "Transmission fluid JWS 3309" as the ATF.
    The 2010 XC70 owners manual specifies "Transmission fluid BOT 341" as the ATF.
    The 2011 XC70 owners manual specifies "Transmission fluid BOT 341" as the ATF.
    The 2012 XC70 owners manual specifies "Transmission fluid AW-1" as the ATF

I have so far been unable to ascertain much about "BOT 341" or "AW-1"
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Quote Originally Posted by BillAileo View Post
    Since this forum also deals with the most recent XC70 models it might be worthwhile to note that the ATF specification set forth by Volvo for the TF-80SC transmission has changed a couple times in recent years and it no longer JWS-3309.

The 2009 XC70 owners manual specifies "Transmission fluid JWS 3309" as the ATF.
    The 2010 XC70 owners manual specifies "Transmission fluid BOT 341" as the ATF.
    The 2011 XC70 owners manual specifies "Transmission fluid BOT 341" as the ATF.
    The 2012 XC70 owners manual specifies "Transmission fluid AW-1" as the ATF

I have so far been unable to ascertain much about "BOT 341" or "AW-1"
    So far as I was reading AW-1 is same as 3309 sepc or Toyota T IV, which used by Ford, Mazda (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2579773)

But BOT 341 is very unusual for Volvo, it seems to more for dual clutch tranny. I think it's something odd for Volvo, at least I didn't get any return search for Volvo tranny . Ihttp://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/56703/Multi_DCTF_(GB).pdf?1358262409

I have researched the dual clutch AWTF-80_SC and found all fluids recommended in the Volvo manuals are JWS 3309 except the BOT-341 which is a castrol product. It was developed by Ford and Castrol for the AW transmission. The web site below describes the whole story. I have a 2008 XC70 and do the 3 quart change as described by MartinK and find this is the easiest and most effective way to renew the fluid with the least amount of time and money.

http://www.bp.com/liveassets/bp_inte...dualclutch.pdf

The fact that Volvo claims automatic gearbox oil doesn't need changing in privately owned cars, but does need changing in cars under the taxi leasing program, where Volvo takes the responsibility for the drive train up to 360000 km, pretty much says it all. The oil needs replacement, together with flushing the gearbox, but if that would be a mandatory requirement, then the estimated service cost for the vehicle would look too high.
    I've replaced the oil in my TF-80 SC after about 120000 km. Gear change quality improved significantly. The old oil was darkish red, the new bright red.

Quote Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
    The fact that Volvo claims automatic gearbox oil doesn't need changing in privately owned cars, but does need changing in cars under the taxi leasing program, where Volvo takes the responsibility for the drive train up to 360000 km, pretty much says it all. The oil needs replacement, together with flushing the gearbox, but if that would be a mandatory requirement, then the estimated service cost for the vehicle would look too high.
    I've replaced the oil in my TF-80 SC after about 120000 km. Gear change quality improved significantly. The old oil was darkish red, the new bright red.

Do you have a process that you followed to get all the fluid out? Not the drain and refill method of 3 liters at a time, but one that pumps the old fluid out and sucks new in (or new is refilled from the top of the box).

I have a case of 3309 waiting for me, if I can't find any documentation, I'll just try some options to unhook the cooler lines to get one to pump fluid out.

Thanks,
    Tom
    2010 T6 - Climate, Convenience, Premium Audio, RSE, Moonroof, ABL
    2002 V70XC, sold to move to Japan

2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast