Default DIY Side Skirt Kit - even a child can do it

Once you get your Volvo XC70 Side Skirts, you might be intimidated and run to your Volvo service department to install them for $400 in labor charges. If you are less mechanically inclined than a 10 year old and have money to burn, go ahead. But the rest of you should install them yourselves. All you need is an $11 pop rivet tool from your local hardware and a drill with a 6mm bit. Of course in swedish ikea tradition, the instructions are as cryptic as a lego manual.

First you have to drill and rivet the black plastic holder in place. Then you'll hang the silver skirts on the holder and rivet them from under the car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7265.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	4405
    This is a pop rivet. They are supplied with the kit. It's not a syringe. The fatter side goes in the hole you drilled. The tool pulls on the skinny side until the fat side mushrooms behind the panel and pulls it tight.

Name:	IMG_7267.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	4406
    The tool holds the rivet in place and pulls on the stem. Three pumps of the handle and it will snap off the step and leave the rivet in place.

Name:	IMG_7264.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	4404
    Easy Peasy

Name:	IMG_7275.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	4409
    When attaching the side skirt, the plastic black holder goes in place first. There's a removable hook that forms to the curve of the car and makes sure you have the holder in the exact right place. Once you've drilled the holes and placed the rivets, remove the plastic hooks with a little twist.

Name:	IMG_7279.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	4410
    The silver side skirts are made of plastic and are very flexible. Slide them downward over the holder and it will be held in place. Then you need to get under the car, and drill through the pre-marked holes and rivet the side skirt in place.

Name:	IMG_7294.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	4411
    BEFORE

Name:	IMG_7297.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	4413
    AFTER

Name:	IMG_7296.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	4412

The first one took us about 1/2 an hour. Once we knew what we were doing, the second one only took ten minutes. I can't believe Volvo can charge so much for installation.

Make sure you get the mudflaps if you buy these side skirts. You can tell that the paint job is delicate and the wheels will kick up rocks right at them.

Thanks for doing this Ken - very much appreciate the step-by-step with photos!

Great writeup! I like how you actually used a kid to do it, haha.

I will say I prefer the cleaner look of the "before", but that's just my .02.

Either way, great looking car! LOVE the blacked out wheels and BFG's.

Nice writeup. Looks easy if you have the tools for it. And yeah, typical Swedish instructions.
    Currently looking for these anywhere but in Sweden, they are so ridiculously expensive ($700)

Where did you get yours?
    Please share tips on great deals or prices if you or anybody got some. I'm I can get em' for less than $700+shipping&fees