View Poll Results: are Volvo headlights adequate for vehicle performance?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

9 50.00%
  • Yes

9 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Daytime Lights Modification

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has bought Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy (US) DRL-1 module and fitted it to their V70 or XC70. In particular where you have fitted the module and if you have gone with the option to syncronise the DRL s with the turn signal function.

Stern claims several benefits for this mod.
    It makes use of the front turn signal lamps as DRL s. In particular it means the low beam headlight is no longer used as the DRL (if modding you need the factory DRL setting turned off by Volvo dealer to avoid having two sets of DRLs) which means these bulbs last longer and give a better light. He specifies the best bulbs by manufacturer and rating.

For low beam they are: Osram Rallye 65W H7 Standard H7 55W, 1400 lumens, 500 hours

H7 Ulta "Plus+50" 33W 1550 lumens, 223 hours
    H7 rallye+65 65W, 2100 lumens,500 hours, obvious choice

Best bulbs for High Beam Toshiba 9011 (HIR1)
    which he says produce more light without overwatage and the incompatibility with stock wiring!

I haven't done anything with the DRLs so far. I also haven't changed the bulbs on my '02 XC yet.

However, on my wife's '04 C70 I am running Philips Night Breaker Plus 90s (see powerbulbs.com) in the low beam position and Toshiba 9011s in the high beam position. After a year's use, the bulbs are still working fine even with the DRLs still enabled. Of course, I probably just doomed myself...

I ran a similar setup on the '01 V70 that I used to own. The low beams in that car lasted a year, but I was driving it twice as much as my wife's C70. I have also run Toshiba 9012s and 9011s in a BMW Z3 with very good results.

These bulbs make a world of difference in light output and the ability to see at night. However, my understanding is that Toshiba HIR bulbs are no longer available and you have to use a Philips branded version of the same bulb.
    2004 Volvo C70 LT
    2002 Volvo V70 XC
    1987 Volkswagen Cabriolet

Have them turned off and be done with them (unless you're in Canada)!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I'm a personal friend of Daniel Stern (which I suppose can be a disclosure). My knowledge of headlamps has been greatly enhanced by what I've learned in my discussions with him about lighting. In my opinion he's unique in that his qualifications as a lighting engineer make him a better resource for good lighting than, say for example, someone who is merely a salesman marketing Xenon conversions for standard lighting equipment (they light up and do look different but are using a lens and reflector system not intended for that kind of light source. Stern is well worth your consideration in as much as his knowledge affords him opportunity (or burden if you prefer) to present papers at NHTSA meetings, as well as work personally with M. Fratty who was/is responsible for many of Marchal and Cibie's legendary lamp designs ranging as far back as the early 1960s. That said, I've not fitted his DRL system to my V70, as of yet, as I'm awaiting a Stern-sourced pair of OEM headlamp units, replacing one water filled unit and one nice one. These are coming in from Europe. In my infinite spare time (meaning I have next to none), I'd love to fit his system to my 90 245, moving the DRL system from the headlamps to one of the park lamp bulbs, (If I recall rightly). I'll look forward to learning how this project goes with you!

" In particular it means the low beam headlight is no longer used as the DRL (if modding you need the factory DRL setting turned off by Volvo dealer to avoid having two sets of DRLs) which means these bulbs last longer and give a better light."

My Canadian '07 has the adaptive HIDs. Wonderful headlights. I hope to sell the car before I have to repair them though...

It uses a separate bulb in the headlight for DRLs. I assume (you know what happens when you assume...) that they are run at a lower brightness (voltage) when running as DRLs and should last a long time.

In my '14 T6 the DRL are now LED's in what was the fog lights, because fog lights are not used or allowed in Canada, so I have 4 bright LED's in each hole and it does look the business, I didn't opt for the Xenon lights so using the standard ones at present.

Quote Originally Posted by AWD*V70XC View Post
    because fog lights are not used or allowed in Canada
    Since when? I have them on my '02 XC and a '05 Passat I'm borrowing and use the fogs on both when appropriate. I also see a lot of other folks with newer cars then mine with them and running them. Then there are the Audis that use the fogs as DRLs. I've never heard of any restrictions in Canada (or ON for that matter). Do you have a reference?

Thanks,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by AWD*V70XC View Post
    ... because fog lights are not used or allowed in Canada ...
    My Canadian '04 came with fog lights. I have to admit I don't find them to be much use but they are there.

Fog lights are legal in Canada, take a walk around any dealership and count the number of vehicles with them. Most new suv and crosovers come standard with them.

DRL, headlamp replacement kits, front fog lamps, auxiliary headlamps and other lighting equipment regulations vary from province to province. I've read the MTO (Ministry of Transportation Ontario) guidelines on DRL and it states that DRL's is any lighting that increases vehicle visibility during good weather and good visibility conditions. If your vehicle is not equipped with DRL, then turning on your headlamps will be enough. Nothing is said against the use of using fog lights as DRL.

Here is a link on Nova Scotia DRL regulations. In one section it states the use of DRL and Fog Lights, but nothing on fog lights alone.

I feel that as long as you have some form on lighting you don't have to worry.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://n...jVDdybxwc3HpAQ

Here is a link to Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations, look for section 108 for lighting. I couldn't find anything, maybe someone else can search and clarify.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...on-sched4.html
    Last edited by Antherzoll; 03-01-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    2005 XC70 Crystal Green | Hilton | 16T | Bad Swede | 130k miles

I was personally thinking of having my DRLs turned off by the dealer and installing the volvo spot light kit along with some phillip led DRLs on the bumper cover bolt caps to stand in as the DRL.
    2002 v70 xc White/Tobacco
    Touring Package, Cold Weather Package, Intro-Premium Package, Audio Max
    180k+ on ORIGINAL Autotragic GirlTronic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast