Default Transmission on 2001 XC70

Hi,

I have a 2001 XC70 automatic with 115K on it and my transmission has really started to act up on me. I'm going to try to explain this as clearly as possible so please bear with me. The transmission seems to "slip" so when I have the car in reverse and I shift to Drive, it takes about 1-2 seconds for the gear to "catch." This can also occur when the car shifts from 1st to 2nd and the car seems to "jump." This is noticeably bad when I'm in stop and go traffic. Sometimes it even goes into a "limp home" mode where the gear display on the dashboard goes from "D" to "-".

My regular mechanic suggested to buy a brand new transmission from Volvo. With labor he would charge about $5K.

I brought the car to a transmission shop and he suggested I rebuild the transmission. He mentioned that since I have the Japanese transmission it may be costly and the final price depends on whether he has to replace the valve body or not....it could range from $2K to $3200.

I would love to keep the car for the long haul so I'm unsure what to do. Would a rebuilt transmission have a good probability of reaching 250,000 miles? Is there a big tradeoff from going for a brand new tranny vs a rebuild?

I tried searching around for an answer but couldn't find one so I decided to post this. Thanks in advance for any help.

You could not have searched, there are MANY posts about 2001 trannies.
    You did not do your homework, 90% of them blow up for several reasons.

Here's one.... 02s are about the same
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...002-XC70-Trans
    Another:
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ansmission-die
    Last edited by JRL; 07-27-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: excpet
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

There are no brand new transmissions for this car. Volvo sells rebuilds as well, but they're fully rebuilt, all the parts replaced. It's a good rebuild.

I would not bother with a trans shop unless they replaced the valve body. The valve body is the culprit on many of these...and I have NO idea what this guy meant by "the Japanese transmission"...sure, it's built by Aisin (a Toyota division), but that's the only trans that comes in the XC...so it's "the Japanese" as opposed to???

A good rebuild could go that kind of distance, but it has to have the fluid changed with some regularity, a filter would be nice as well.

From your description, yours is toast...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    You could not have searched, there are MANY posts about 2001 trannies.
    You did not do your homework, 90% of them blow up for several reasons.

Here's one.... 02s are about the same
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...002-XC70-Trans
    Another:
    http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...ansmission-die
    Well the first transmission that you refer to JRL did not blow up because of a malfunction, it was sabotaged, and the hole story behind it makes one wonder how many have suffered the same or similar fate.
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -

-Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.-

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyV70XC View Post
    Well the first transmission that you refer to JRL did not blow up because of a malfunction, it was sabotaged, and the hole story behind it makes one wonder how many have suffered the same or similar fate.
    He was alluding to the fact that you can't spit within this forum without hitting an 01/02 bad tranny post. They are all over. The tranny is junk and should have been recalled.

Go with an independent shop, but I would suggest shopping around (the one you quote sounds like a jerk),

Darren