Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '01 V70XC AC cuts out while driving

AC unexpectedly starts blowing warm/humid air while driving. Have to cycle the AC power switch and leave it off for a couple of minutes for it to come back on. Is there some sort of thermal protection circuit or relay for the compressor that shuts the whole system off? Ambient air temps have been in the 90s and 100s (F) recently. If you have a p/n, let me know.

#1 cause of this the clutch wearing onthe a/c compressor and the gap being too wide as a result. The electromagnet coil the pulls the floating plate into the drive plate will get hot from engine heat and from being energized. WHen it is hot the magnet strength goes down and is too weak to pull in the plate when it a few thousands of an inch too far away. Turning it off allows the coil to coil and it works again until the compressor is cycled off (normal) and it will engage until it gets hot again.

I agree with cattlecar. I have 01 xc70 with 165K and just shimmed the clutch on mine this morning . The original gap was close to .9 mm and I believe operating range is between .3 and .5.

Quote Originally Posted by cattlecar View Post
    Turning it off allows the coil to coil and it works again until the compressor is cycled off (normal) and it will engage until it gets hot again.
    OK, so what is the fix? A new AC clutch? A new coil? Or is everyone's XC70 doing this on hot days? Car goes in for service next Thursday. What should I ask them to look at? Thanks in advance.

Just some thing else to check before you start on the compressor clutch.
    is you radiator fan working if its that warm or you are stopped in traffic and the fan is not working the AC will shutdown on high pressure switch to prevent system damage.

The way I understand it you have three options, 1) replace the clutch 2) remove some of the OEM clutch shims to return to a functional gap or 3) shim the clutch springs yourself. These are in order of expense with 3 being something you can do at home for nothing. All said, I'd just ask your service dept to check the clutch and give you options with costs. P.S. I performed option 3 this morning and drove mine 70 miles today in 110 degree heat with no A/C problems, so my money is on the clutch gap.

I had the same symtoms with my A/C a few weeks ago and remembered a previous post about adjusting the A/c clutch gap. A search on google took me to Mathew's Volvo site with a proceedure for adjusting the gap dubbed the "ghetto fix". Don't blast me for the name as I did not name it. Adusting my clutch using that proceedure and can say that it does work. I too plan to properly adjust it after the hot weather is over.
    Try it! http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...lutch-gap-fix/

How much does it cost to have it repaired?

If the cabin temp sensor is failing, it would operate the AC too cold, causing it to freeze. And after you turn off the AC for a couple minutes, it would defrost and start operating again.
    Then the cycle continues.
    You can check the temp sensor status through VIDA.

Good Luck
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

I had the same problem.
    Cause was a failing clutch in the AC.
    Mechanic rebuilt it with parts from a compatible 850 unit and presto, have not had any issues with the AC since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast