Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    I can also assure you that this is a job best left to a Volvo dealer, or a very, very good, competent independant that has the right tools to do the job. There is a dedicated angle gear overhaul kit that includes all the pullers, seal drivers, bevelling tool, sealant, etc., for doing the job. Be aware, also, that there is a one in twelve chance that the angle gear may not go back together without cracking the two case halves. Once the gear is taken apart, the bearing races may not go back in, or they may have spun themselves in the case, you may need all new bearings, or there may be distortion of the parts and/or case. BE PREPARED TO REPLACE THE ASSEMBLY IN ITS ENTIRETY, or have a good used one on hand to put in. There is also an updated case vent that has to be installed, plus, you're going to need a new splined coupler put in before the angle gear is bolted back on to the transmission. It is a six hour labour charge. The guys at the dealer have done lots of them and, when done correctly, will not leak again. This is a repair made available by Volvo, yet not endorsed by them. It is sort of an unofficial fix. Volvo, to this day, insists that the best repair is replacing the assembly, simply because of the risks mentioned above, and the issue of liability. If you're not the type to thrash or abuse the car, then you may very well be in luck and have a very satisfactory repair in the end. No one will know until it's taken out and stripped down.

Dave.
    Interesting. This doesn't sound good. I plan on getting it looked at in a few weeks when we return. I plan on bringing it into a mechanic that I've heard is competent with Volvos here locally. I would assume after reading through this forum (FAQ section), that this is an issue that a mechanic that is familiar with the XC70 has seen before. I also plan on calling another dealership about an hour and a half away to see what their price is. My issue so far is that every mechanic wants to see the vehicle for themselves and then they take an entire day to get back to me. I would think a dealership service center should be able to quote this if it's a common repair specific to models before the 2007, which it sounds like it is. It's going to be at least two and a half weeks before I will be able to get this into a mechanic.

All you have to ask is what does it cost, roughly, to reseal the angle gear in my car. Also, ask for their best price on an angle gear assembly. You could also give these folks a call...

http://www.erievovo.com/

They may be your best option if you don't feel comfortable with the potential risks.

My issue so far is that every mechanic wants to see the vehicle for themselves
    If they need to "see the vehicle for themselves" then run away (assuming they are independents). They are obviously not familiar with leaking angle gears on AWDs or XC70s, and would not have the right equipment to do the job.

Dave.
    Last edited by Aviator; 06-27-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Okay, I have it scheduled at a Volvo dealership a little over an hour away when we return from our trip. They have quoted $650. I appreciate the info. you all have given me with this issue, it's been really helpful.

$650 is a GREAT dealer price
    Just make sure they're doing it properly. ASK THEM about the filing/beveling of the joint and make sure they're doing that.
    Otherwise, go for it
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Update on the angle gear. I just wanted to let you know how the new dealership worked out. So, I took it to a different dealership about an hour and forty minutes away from where I live. I dropped it off on Saturday for a Tuesday appointment. I spoke to them on Tuesday and they commented that the angle gear was very loose. They knew I wasn't coming in to pick it up on Tuesday so I didn't hear from them until yesterday. At which point they told me that the mechanic tightened everything back up and drove it around and then they let it sit overnight with a drip pan underneath. They said not one drop came out and it looks great. They also said there would be no charge unless I still wanted them to go ahead and reseal it since I had come all that way, but in their opinion it was fine. That was a no brainer. That's not to say it could become a problem down the road, but at this point it seems fine. They also said the dealership here should have been doing this as part of the oil change. We'll go back today and pick up the car. I definitely appreciate their honesty and saving me a lot of money.

Many of these car's angle gear (AG) have tiny leaks that don't affect the fluid level much. Good to do a couple of things

1. Might leave the belly pan off for awhile to make sure no drips on the ground (from the angle gear at least)
    2. Check AG fluid level at each oil change. Just remove the AG filler bolt and stick in something to check fluid level (I use a bent paper clip) Fairly simple but may need to request a Volvo indy or dealer to do the oil change + AG oil check for you rather than oil change chain stores.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

We took our 2001 V70 XC to the shop today to have the side turn signals replaced and when my wife was driving home she noticed a knocking sound coming from the front of the car when she was moving. It seemed to occur when we were turning steering wheel to the right. Didn't seem to make a noise when going straight or turning left or maybe the noise wasn't very loud. When I drove it I thought something in the right wheel was rubbing because it happened when I was turning right and it sounded like the rhythm matched the turning of the wheel. I called the shop and he wondered if I picked up a stick in his parking lot. I looked under the car and at the wheels and couldn't find anything that was rubbing but I noticed a lot of oil on the right side near what I now understand to be the angle gear area. I took the car back to the shop and he drove it and at first he didn't hear the sound and then he did. He jacked the front of the car and spun the front wheel with his hand and then he jacked the rear of the car also and showed me that the all wheel drive isn't working. He said we need a new angle gear or he could do something? for a lot less cost to make the car a front wheel drive car. Does it sound like we definitely need a new angle gear? If yes, thoughts on making the car a front wheel drive car?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12