Default One or two fuel pumps?

The family wagon has been starting ruff in the morning as of late.Last summer the fuel pump(pumps?)started getting loud,I haven't had time to check the fuel pressure yet but I suspect the pump is on its way out and was planning on replacing it this summer.My question is this,the car is a 1998 v70xc,I have seen many posts on people replacing the fuel pump on the right side of the tank but not on the left.From what I can see the fuel tank is a saddle tank.Is there a pump on the left side or is that assembly just a sending unit for the fuel level?I am going to drop the rear end to do this job and want to have everything ready but I don't want to replace the unit on the left side if its not a pump.Thank you

There is one true pump on the right side. The "ejector pump" is return line fuel sprayed through a jet into a larger opening, a venturi, creating suction to pick up the fuel from left side to be deposited into fuel pump cup on right side.
    You can lower tank on right side to get access after removing a trailing arm on right suspension, the driveshaft, and viscous coupling housing.
    If you go to www.matthewsvolvosite.com and search there is a lot of info on this.
    There is an alternate method where a 6" by 6" part of floor is cut carefully to get access without disturbing anything under car.

Quote Originally Posted by cattlecar View Post
    There is an alternate method where a 6" by 6" part of floor is cut carefully to get access without disturbing anything under car.
    I did this on my 2000 XC. You have to be pretty careful, but I know it was 100 times better than having to drop the rear of the car. A few simple tools: a dremel and a modified metal fork are about all I used. Very happy I went that route.
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

One pump ,thats good news.I have seen the posts about cutting the hole in the floor and although I do have sheet metal skills I think I will still drop the rear end,it will give me a chance to check everything back there over.Thank you for your replys, I'm glad its only one pump,those things are expensive.

I also cut a access door and it was much easier than dropping the whole tank. I was grateful to go that way because I had to access 4 time (3 first time to try to stop a leak when tank is full and 4th to replace the Scan-tech POS with a genuine OEM pump).

Dropping would allow you to check on top for sure, especially the EVAP system for dried out/rotten hoses.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils