Default 03 tranny in 01?

Ok. O I have searched and searched for this answer with no luck. I recently bought a 2001 xc70 with 113k for 1k. Needs tranny and a few other things.

Main question. Will a 2003 transmission work on this car? Or can I only use an 01-02? And why? I can save a ton of money by buying an 03 tranny vs an 01. Looking like about $500 savings. Thanks guys.

Fat Antonio
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by 01dixco View Post
    Ok. O I have searched and searched for this answer with no luck. I recently bought a 2001 xc70 with 113k for 1k. Needs tranny and a few other things.

Main question. Will a 2003 transmission work on this car? Or can I only use an 01-02? And why? I can save a ton of money by buying an 03 tranny vs an 01. Looking like about $500 savings. Thanks guys.

Fat Antonio
    Texas
    According to the parts book, no; but the real world might be a different story since it is the same gearbox. I can't find any real info, but I'm wondering if the main difference is in the valve body which was greatly improved in the '03 and beyond?

Cheers,

Bill

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

From what I understand the solonoids in the tranny (valvebody) are different and will not communicate properly with the TCM
    You would have to change those out to 01-02 solonoids.
    The psysical dimensions are the same (it will bolt up)
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I am surprised that you can save that much with a different year...perhaps because so many 01's failed...

I wouldn't take the chance - I know that the valve bodies are different, but do they interface with the TCM differently? I honestly don't know, but I suspect that they are incompatible and I would hate to see you buy the trans and find out it doesn't work in your car...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

IF you pulled it off however more technically savvy people might start getting amazing deals on XC's by picking up the worthless 01's and putting solid transmissions in!!

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

I still wonder though if you put a good '01-02 valve body (i.e. a Sonnax rebuild for example) on an '03 gearbox if it would work. The valve body deals with the TCM compatibility and then it is just if the hydraulic control works properly with the '03 mechanical bits. I'm think it should work but an expensive gamble to give it a try.

On the other hand, by the time you do a rebuild on a valve body and have a reasonable '02 gearbox that hasn't been hurt mechanically, maybe you end up in the same place?

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Default Aw55-50sn

If your transmission is an AW55-50SN and you replace it with the same part from a different year, it will work but you may have to update the TCM or have it put in adaptive mode so it can relearn the shift points.

If you are thinking about putting an AW55-51SN transmission in a car that came with an AW55-50SN, it won't work. One is for a 2.4L engine, one is for a 2.5L engine.

The AW55-50SN is complex and had a lot of problems. There are at least 3 different versions of valve bodies for these transmissions, each one better than the earlier model.

I've spent over $1,000 on having my valve body professionally rebuilt, solenoids, wiring harness, Sonnax updates, and finally a different valve body from a low mileage transmission and I still have the same issues...a P0778 code and the trans goes into "limp" mode after a short time.

'01 and '02 Volvo's were poorly designed and had tons of problems. That's why you can pick up an XC70 for $800-$1,000 because no one wants to pay $5,000 for the dealer to put a "rebuilt" transmission in them.

ABS issues can cause transmission issues as well as wiring problems most people wouldn't think of...like the wiring harness for the trailer towing package.

This is my first and LAST Volvo...I will take a huge loss when I sell it, IF I can sell it with a bad transmission.

Good luck!

A rebuild should cost around 3-3.5 grand. This is at an independent tranny shop. Look around a bit -- there's nothing special about a Volvo tranny, and shops likely have seen more than a few of them these days.

5 grand if you enjoy that "squeal like a pig" feeling only a dealer can induce.

We had my wife's tranny rebuilt by a competent independent shop a few years ago (4? 5?, can't recall offhand) and it is still operating just fine.

Some people claim success after just doing valve bodies, but I question the economics of the approach on a tranny that has seen any appreciable mileage. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Default Parting out

I have a 2002 xc v70 with 98k. The cheapest quote for a tranny is 5k so far. I will be parting it out. I have no confidence that I will not be in the same position after the warranty expires one year from now. Mine will stick in fifth gear until it is turned off and restarted.