Default Dump it or Keep it?

Although I check daily and see no evidence of leakage, when I take my 2004 XC in for an oil change, I am told my angle gear and rear differential fluid are leaking. I paid $300-$400 a couple years ago to have the angle gear gaskets replaced; apparently, that's not working.

This is my third Volvo, and with nearly 100,000 miles. It is decidedly the best in terms of lower maintenance/repair costs.

My indy dealer - pretty reliable and competent as far as I can tell - explains that because the cost of replacing angle gear and differential would be prohibitive, the best thing to do is to continue to top off these fluids with each oil change. I have no problem doing this (yep, I'm anal about it - every 3,000 miles).

I realize rate of leakage is the primary factor and a major unknown here, but I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses and unload this vehicle now. If I do, I've read enough related strings to doubt if I'll buy another Volvo again.

(There is a Mercedes dealership within walking distance of my home, and their wagons are quite attractive, but frankly for several reasons I don't find them as appealing as the XCs).

In any case, thanks for your thoughts.

Your choice.
    If the angle gear WAS RE-SEALED PROPERLY it should not leak ever again.
    There's a special filing that has to be done on the mating edges, if this was not done, it will leak again.
    Perhaps your indy dealer didn't use the TNN provided by Volvo to do this job properly?!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

I am from Arlington and used to work at said Mercedes dealer you are talking about! Small world. If you are interested we could meet up and take a look at your car. If you want to tackle replacing the angle gear/ differential I could help you do it cheaply as I have done both before...

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Quote Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
    If you want to tackle replacing the angle gear/ differential I could help you do it cheaply as I have done both before...
    But do you know how to do it properly?
    You need to file and chafe (properly, accoding to VIDA) where they butt together

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Yes JRL. I have the pdf somewhere on my computer. Though honestly the last one I did for a friend we just replaced with a used (known non leaking unit) and that was much easier and quicker.

'05 XC70
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Unless it's an 2007 used unit, it will eventually start to leak again
    07s came with the latest and greatest sealing, they're sealed the same way as the TNN says

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Unless it's an 2007 used unit, it will eventually start to leak again
    07s came with the latest and greatest sealing, they're sealed the same way as the TNN says
    I have seen resealed ones (by volvo) leak again... (ex. My friends 02 that we just replaced). While we debated breaking it apart and resealing it, we decided just to straight up replace it and we can reseal his old unit and have it as a back up. Though with 160k on the old unit and it having been run low on fluid multiple times I am curious to see the state of everything when we tear it apart.

edit: JRL, thank you for pointing out that '07's have the updated sealing method, that is a handy piece of information I never knew! Though unfortunately in my friends case an 07 would not work with his 02...

'05 XC70
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

sometimes the turbo drain pipe is to blame, it will drip on top of the angle gear and will appear the angle gear is leaking

my XC with 157k was still full of original fluid, just changed it

the rear diff was a different story, but ive refilled it and im keeping an eye on it
    2002 S60 2.4T AWD 170,000 miles daily driver
    2003 XC70 2.5T AWD 157,000 miles grocery getter