Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default XC90 issues - myth or fact

Hi, I am in the market for an suv and I am looking at an xc90 D5 2007 which has done 96000km. Whilst tryng to educate myself with the vehicle the common problem of 'transmission failure' keeps popping up. Is this problem specific to certain model/s or across the range, certain years? I would love some clarification on this by people with experience with the xc90's as I do not know much about them but I want to seriously consider purchasing one for my young family. If there are any other issues I should be aware of, please advise.
    Thanks in advance, dmac

We do not have the diesels in the U.S., but the trans issues are usually referring to the early twin turbo inline six that used the GM 4spd transmission. They can be rebuilt with beefier internals but that's a little off topic. Good luck!

Thanks for that info. Can anyone tell me if the 2007 xc90 d5 has a different transmission to above and if so any dramas with them? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dmac View Post
    Thanks for that info. Can anyone tell me if the 2007 xc90 d5 has a different transmission to above and if so any dramas with them? Thanks
    Yeah, the D5 comes with Aisin 6 speed AWTF-80 SC tranny.
    You should be fine.
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Ottawa Ontario - Pender Island BC

Default Aisin Transmission

The Aisin tranny by the way is manufactured by a Toyota subsidiary in Japan and is used in Toyotas. A lot of us on this board are aware of that, but it might be news to a recent convert.

Earlier versions (before 2001/02) of the smaller XC-70 model could pose problems but the 2007 should be problem free. We have an '04 XC-70 Turbo with an Aisin tranny which has done lots of towing and it runs fine at 220,000 kms. I'm pretty sure it will do 350,000 kms without a problem (the whole car has been problem free as well). I sure wish we had a diesel option here in Canada!

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ifnt420 View Post
    Yeah, the D5 comes with Aisin 6 speed AWTF-80 SC tranny.
    You should be fine.
    Thanks for the info

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The Aisin tranny by the way is manufactured by a Toyota subsidiary in Japan and is used in Toyotas. A lot of us on this board are aware of that, but it might be news to a recent convert.

Earlier versions (before 2001/02) of the smaller XC-70 model could pose problems but the 2007 should be problem free. We have an '04 XC-70 Turbo with an Aisin tranny which has done lots of towing and it runs fine at 220,000 kms. I'm pretty sure it will do 350,000 kms without a problem (the whole car has been problem free as well). I sure wish we had a diesel option here in Canada!

John
    Great info, thanks John. Anything to do with Toyota is normally pretty good so that gives ne confidence with transmission in xc9 d5 2007

The other two problems that keep popping up when researching xc90 d5 2007 is:
    Awd failing

Bad response time from stand still to take off

Are these common enough to be of concern?

Quote Originally Posted by dmac View Post
    The other two problems that keep popping up when researching xc90 d5 2007 is:
    Awd failing

Bad response time from stand still to take off

Are these common enough to be of concern?
    About awd failing... There is a part in part that connects the gearbox with the Real wheels that is made less hard material the rest, which is allright sine this part will break in a harden situation father the gearbox. This part is worn after aprox 200K km and the you end up with having only front wheel drive.
    I paid 4500 DKK ( 900 US $) at the Volvo garage to get i fixed.

I have a auto gearbox on my D5 from '04 and it stills run fine after 260.000 km.
    I flush the gearbox with new oil on my Cars after each 45.000 km and Then they seems to hold forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadows View Post
    About awd failing... There is a part in part that connects the gearbox with the Real wheels that is made less hard material the rest, which is allright sine this part will break in a harden situation father the gearbox. This part is worn after aprox 200K km and the you end up with having only front wheel drive.
    I paid 4500 DKK ( 900 US $) at the Volvo garage to get i fixed.

I have a auto gearbox on my D5 from '04 and it stills run fine after 260.000 km.
    I flush the gearbox with new oil on my Cars after each 45.000 km and Then they seems to hold forever.
    Thanks shadows, what about exaggerated lag at standstill from putting foot on accelerator and taking off. People have noted that it has been quite dangerous with the great lack of response on takeoff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast