Default Pinion Seal Replacement, Help Needed

OK so I have been lurking here for quite some time and could use some help on replacing the pinion seal on my 98. 1. Currently I am removing the viscous coupler and the top two bolts are difficult to get to and 2: Is there a torque spec for the pinion nut? I don't want to screw up any bearing preload etc when reinstalling the pinion flange. Any help on getting this done would be greatly appreciated.

The pinion flange is TIGHT on Volvos. You will need to use a puller and be sure it is securely bolted to flange to reduce chance of bending the flange.
    Mark the nut to the flange and flange to pinion shaft end.
    Volvo says use new nut. They always say to replace a locking feature fastener. A couple of drops of Loc-tite will be fine when going together.
    Be sure new seal is fitted evenly into the diff front when installing. Clean the seal surface on flange to assure nothing is there to harm new seal like rusty surface.
    Fit the flange back where it came from. DO NOT tap the flange back onto pinion with any blows to cv joint face of flange. The threaded pinion shaft will likely be out enough to pull it on with nut. IF necessary to pull it down use pipe or big socket and tap it on further by the surface the nut bears against. When you tighten the nut it will instantly become a LOT harder to turn and then it may go a few degrees more and the marks will align on nut and flange from your marking it. Volvo lists a torque of something like 163 lb-ft but to crush the crush sleeve further (which would change bearing preload and also change pattern and backlash) takes over 200 lb-ft to accomplish.
    Last edited by cattlecar; 05-07-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Thank you for the detailed response!