Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hesitation In 2nd On Hard Acceleration @ Upper End...

I've had this problem since day one (January 1 of this year). It hasn't really bugged me much since I'm kind of a hyper-miler, but I just wanted to get some input and find out if it could be telling of something bad in my future.

Normally, the XC runs smooth as silk. But occasionally, when I have to pass someone and push it to where it kicks down into 2nd gear and it starts winding up, just before shifting to 3rd, there is a hesitation. It's not flare, and doesn't seem to be tranny related. The engine itself just seems to miss at the upper end of the RPMs. Any ideas? I've got brand new NGK Platinum plugs. The coils "Look" OK. I just got an ETM gasket from FCP Groton and hope that when I get a little time, a good ETM cleaning may help, but I cant help feeling like this could be a sign of something more serious.

BTW, I just recieved my chinese Dice unit and got the latest Vida software all loaded up through VMWare on my MacBook Pro. Just haven't had a chance to hook it up yet. Thought I'd take the little online tutorial first, since I have a history of jumping into these things head-first and screwing things up.
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak
    English Shepherd option installed in rear.

Get rid of the NGKs and install Volvo plugs, That's the first place to start.
    Volvos seem to run the best with stock plugs
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Get rid of the NGKs and install Volvo plugs, That's the first place to start.
    Volvos seem to run the best with stock plugs
    Good to know.
    Same issue though, before plug replacement.
    I'll try it though- love starting easy.
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak

It could be anything
    A dirty throttle body, slightly clogged breather system, boost control valve.

You would be surprised how much better these cars drive with a clean ETM
    Or...slightly worn out coils, etc

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks JRL. The ETM's getting a good cleaning when my new Volvo plugs arrive from FCP Groton. I'll check the PCV system (see if there's suction at the oil filler) when I get home. Any way to check the boost control valve short of swapping it out?
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak

Oil fill AND dipstick

I had the same hesitation during excelleration when I bought my XC 70 a year ago. Took it to the local Volvo dealership with no results and the claim that it seemed "normal".

I just got my car back from my favorite Indy shop and they changed the spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body. Its like a new car. Smooth as can be. A rather amazing turnaround.

So, I replace my new NGK Iridium plugs with Volvo plugs and cleaned my ETM. New car! Hesitation is gone. I don't yet know how much to attribute to disconnecting the battery. Time will tell.
    Many thanks to all who gave their 2 cents- it was worth way more!
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak

Default Hessitation

Had something similar a while ago ... turned out to be the turbo control valve which I then replaced with the heavy duty (and quicker acting) one from IPD. Did all the pipes with the silicon hose at the same time ...
    Pierre

2016 V40 D4 AT
    2010 XC60 3.0T AT
    2004 Mazda Miata 1.8 - My new toy and restoration project ... Not everything you do in life has to be rational!

Gone: 2015 V40 D3 AT, 2002 V70XC 2.4T AT, 2007 S60 2.5T Manual, 2004 S60 2.0T Manual, 1996 850 GLT Manual

Quote Originally Posted by PierreC View Post
    Had something similar a while ago ... turned out to be the turbo control valve which I then replaced with the heavy duty (and quicker acting) one from IPD. Did all the pipes with the silicone hose at the same time ...
    You know, I was going to do that. I got all the silicone. I even "sprung" for an IPD CBV, but I couldn't find the IPD HD TCV. Looks like they've stopped making it, because it's not even listed as out of stock. It's just not there.

If I'm going to go to all the trouble to do all the silicone and the CBV, would an OEM TCV just drag the whole effort down? Seems like it'd be better than the old tired one, right?

Also, am I missing something or searching the IPD site wrong? Is the IPD HD TCV history?
    Guy Welch
    2004 XC70 90K miles
    Ash Gold Metallic/Oak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast