Default 99 XC turbo question

I previously tried to find the "Turbos for Dummies" book so I could do all my own turbo consulting but the book is yet to be written and here I am for advice. My 99xc 156K, with drive shaft out, new belts, new motor mounts, new plugs/oil/ATF/all filters, that has no driveability issues, gets 20 mpg highway on a good day driving moderately, 15 in town. I think it should be better. the turbo is leaking oil, and likely has neve been touched. Also, when I got the car about 4 months ago there was a plastic air vent tube, about 3 inches in diameter, running from open air by the radiator, going back to about the torque mount on the drivers side and attached to nothing, with nothing in the neighborhood to attach it to. It clearly belongs there, attaches nicely to the front panel and winds though the engine compartment perfectly. So, my questions are;
    1) what is missing to attach this vent tube to?
    2) would a turbo extreme make-over get me better mileage, or just a non-leaking turbo, or other benefits?
    3) what else could affect my mileage, PVC? etc? appreciate everyones wisdom

Can you post pictures?

As to turbo for dummies, I'm a dummy and I've found these useful:

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...-dont-comment/

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineTurbo.html

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo2.htm

As to 3) Keeping your foot light is the best thing for your mileage in a turbo car. Hard to do. Most people who hang out in forums have a VERY hard time doing this!!!!

1999 V70XC Silver - IPD Sway Bars, IPD TCV, SNABB intake, Amsoil Dry EA nano-fibre panel filter
    2008 C30 T5 Cosmic White Manual - Fun fun fun
    1983 - Volvo DL wagon - RIP - Volvo saved my life.

Use snow tires.
    AWD + all season tires + snow = stuck in deepr $#&@

POST EDITED

Which pipe are you referring to?
    Last edited by almostarctic; 03-21-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: My brain shut off when I originally posted

1999 V70XC Silver - IPD Sway Bars, IPD TCV, SNABB intake, Amsoil Dry EA nano-fibre panel filter

Use snow tires.

Default 99 XC Turbo Question

got a photo of the mysterious tube but now have to figure out how to post it. Seems now I need "Forums for Dummies" The Add Image button asks for a URL but this is just a .jpg on my computer. Any help? (other than reminding me of being a dummy)

You have to have an on line host like www.photobucket.com
    Then you copy and paste the url from the picture file into your post
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Red face 99XC Turbo Question

Ok! I figured out what the tube was for. It had been installed upside down and when flipped it just goes very nicely into the inlet to the filter box, hidden nicely underneith everything. Duh! I'm still wondering about my turbo. The car had no maintainance of any kind done by second PO, and nothing in the dealer record before that. There is an oil leak in the area but could be the PVC or turbo so I will have to wipe and clean to seek it's source. I would rebuild the turbo if you guys would cheer me on and suggest where to get a kit. Probably could do the PVC stuff at the same time since the workspace would more open. My mileage is 23mpg after a 300 mile trip of very conservative freeway at 70mph. I'd like better, or maybe just drill more! Looking for all of your collective wisdom.

At those miles you really need to replace the breather system, check the TURBO DUMP TUBE SEAL (which could be your leak).
    You should try to have the underside of the engine cleaned thoroughly, then you will find out where the oil is coming from
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

here's the seal you probably need and sounds turbo is working well and not making noise. 23 mpg is good at 70. I can get a bit over 24 at 65.
    http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5352/...-pipe-seal-kit

Default 99xcTurbo Question

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.
    No one has suggested a turbo overhaul so I'll put that on the back burner. I guess when it starts making noise I'll dig into it. My mileage seems to be getting worse, about 20 now on the hiway. Any other places to look for a few mpg? I wonder about oddball things like carbon filter plugged, or some electronic control. I will be doing the breather system soon, will check for a dragging rear caliper too (had one on the front a while back). Any opinions on aftermarket heater cores? I can get one for about $60 but wonder about reliability.

Extra MPG's.

Try cleaning your MAF, making sure the PTC nipple is clear and of course the PCV system.

Keep tires rotated and even pressure.

Clean the ETM. I'm replacing mine this week with Xemodex.
    Last edited by almostarctic; 05-08-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo

Use snow tires.