Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Want engine performance upgrade on 3.2

My 2008 XC 70 3.2 (gas) just passed 50K miles and is now off warranty. I am interested in tweaking the engine performance a bit. So far, I have purchased a K&N filter from IPD Volvo. They have not replied to an email from me about what else they might have available (e.g. chip, software). I live in Portland and could easily leave it at their shop (near Portland Airport).

I see there is an older posting on the RICA chip but no recent comments or feedback. I emailed them because I live on the West Coast and they only list 3 Northeastern US dealers and have not heard back. There are also a few postings on the XC90 site but nothing very recent or compelling. Someone had mentioned an upgrade you can get if you order a new car from the factory (Polestar?) or maybe from the dealer and I need to follow up, if others have have experience with this.

I probably do not want to do manifolds or exhaust but would be very interested in what others have tried. I have also never tried premium gas-maybe that would be the least expensive way to go!

Thank you in advance to all.
    Last edited by mader$; 03-10-2012 at 07:36 AM. Reason: found more information

In turbocharged vehicles, a chip typically increases the boost pressure.

In NA Volvos, there is very little performance to be gained.

Andres

Default Polestar+

View the Volvo website for NA and you will find the info for Polestar+ and which Volvo model are currently supported. I'm having this applied to my recently ordered MY2012 XC70 T6 for +25 HP and +35 Lbs torque. Many reviews and reports indicate the Polestar+ upgrade is significant and provides excellent improvement to car's drivability. Most importantly it is covered 100% by the Volvo warranty.

At this time I believe the Polestar+ is not available for the 3.2 engine. Bummer...
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Son's '01 S60 2.3L T5,Maya Gold,96Kmi
    Son's '03 XC70 Platinum Green (OSD)
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '86 745 GLE 6-Cyl-Turbo Diesel,Graphite,255Kmi
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son
    SOLD '03 XC70, '04 S60R, '07 S60R

I recently spoke to our dealer here on this side of the 'Pond' about having the Polestar 'enhancement' fitted to the 205Bhp Diesel 'lump' fitted in 'Flamenco Red' and was advised against having it done.

The reasoning was that while it increases the Torque and Bhp, it makes the engine run 'lumpy'!

I took the advice so will stick with the 205Bhp that the 'lump' produces.

It still knocks me into the seat when the 'pedal hits the metal' especially in 2nd or 3rd!

My 'good lady' just shuts her eyes if she is with me!

Quote Originally Posted by acools View Post
    In turbocharged vehicles, a chip typically increases the boost pressure.

In NA Volvos, there is very little performance to be gained.

Andres
    Here are the facts... http://www.polestar.se/en-us/models/...utomatic-2012/
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Current: MY2012 XC70 T6/Twi Bronze/Espresso Brown/Polestar/Platinum/BLIS/Tech/ABL/Scuff Plates/Front&Rear cameras
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Quote Originally Posted by XCovlov70 View Post
    I recently spoke to our dealer here on this side of the 'Pond' about having the Polestar 'enhancement' fitted to the 205Bhp Diesel 'lump' fitted in 'Flamenco Red' and was advised against having it done.

The reasoning was that while it increases the Torque and Bhp, it makes the engine run 'lumpy'!

I took the advice so will stick with the 205Bhp that the 'lump' produces.

It still knocks me into the seat when the 'pedal hits the metal' especially in 2nd or 3rd!

My 'good lady' just shuts her eyes if she is with me!
    This isn't the case for the MY2012 XC70 T6 model. It's getting rave reviews and many Volvo enthusiasts are cashing in. Here in USA the Polestar+ retails for $1,495 plus sales tax. In my case, I negotiated wholesale pricing for my MY2012 XC70 T6 with my dealership while also agreeing to a reasonable profit. This has meant me obtaining the Polestar+ at the wholesale price of just $990.
    Regards -- Barry Sharp
    ==============
    Traded 2011 C30 R-Design
    Daughter#1 2011 XC60
    Daughter#2 2010 XC90
    SOLD '03 XC70 to my son

Modifying the ECU programming on a naturally aspirated engine will probably yield no noticeably gains if any. I hate to have to break it to you, but I think the only truly worthwhile option is to move up to a T6 from the 3.2. Even doing exhaust, manifold, etc. will yield weak results. There's just not a lot of additional power to be had from that engine unless you're going to add a turbocharger or supercharger, and in that case you'd probably be better off trading in and buying a T6.
    2007 Volvo XC70 | Silver / Black | Premium & Climate Packages, Steel Cargo Barrier, Cargo Cover, Trailer Hitch, Parrot Bluetooth, USA SPEC iPod Adapter, 4-Way Pioneer Door Speakers

From my memory one of the biggest issues with the early 3.2 engines wasn't so much that the engine was underpowered, but rather the calibration on the 6-speed auto was weighted more toward fuel efficiency rather than performance. This was best seen in the annoying habit of wanting to hold onto the highest gear possible rather than changing down. Around about the 2010/2011 models I do recall there was a re-calibration done on the auto tranmission for the 3.2 which gave a better response to throttle inputs. I'm just speculating here that maybe this re-calibration may be available for the older 3.2s.

Tony

It seems the auto makers have found another way to get a few more bucks or whatever currency you deal in, out of buyers.
    Increased Horsepower, sometimes so small that's it hardly quantifiable in actual driving, speed limiters increased that hardly matter because most of cannot drive legally at the lower speed anyway let alone the increased limit.
    Manufactures are not dumb and they have succeeded admirably in shaking more money out of purchasers for the EXACT same vehicle with just a control chip change.
    I buy them and use them and the 3.2 is certainly fine for me. -Dick
    '11 XC70 Silver/Off Black-Hers
    '03 XC70 Silver/Charcoal-His
    '99 XC70 Silver/Charcoal -Granddaughter's
    '87 740GLE Junk Yard@287K miles
    2013 Porsche Boxster
    2017 Porsche C4S

Quote Originally Posted by barrysharp View Post
    I looked at the figures quoted in the 'link' and I got...

Performance "Original" - "Optimized"
    Power (hp): "300" - "325"
    Power (kW): "224" - "242"
    Power Max (rpm): "5600" - "5400-6500"
    Torque (lb-ft): "325" - "355"
    Torque Max (rpm): "2100-4200" - "3000-3600

Sorry I cannot get the figures to line up with the respective "Original" & "Optimised" columns so I have put each set of figures in "" (Quotes)
    Ps, 'Optimised' is 'Polestar'

This to me means that the engine when 'Optimized' by the Polestar Chip is going faster at 3000 - 3600 (rpm) to produce another 30ft/lb of Torque than the original settings!

Now if that is going to consume more fuel then there is no way on this planet that I am going to recover the outlay of between $1495 & Discount $990 in anticipated 'savings'.

Which to my way of thinking is that if I increase the Torque at LOWER Revs, I save fuel and it therefore costs me less to run?

Which is what happened when I got a 'bolt on' Van Aaken Unit for my old V70 TDI that went from 40 Mpg to 50 Mpg at the same speed, and that paid for itself ($450) in just over 12 months of use!

Sadly the company went 'Chapter 11' and out of business!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast