Default Painting the fiberglass firewall in the engine bay?

01 V70 T5, got the car like 7-8 years ago now. The black top coating on the fiberglass firewall in the back of the engine bay came off when I bought it. Probably due to the an uncareful engine bay cleaning effort by the previous owner (dealer)

googled and couldn't find anything. Do I just buy some high temperature flat black spray paint like the following to repair it? This product has a BBQ grill on the picture, I figure that ought to stand up to any heat on the fiber glass matting.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=112

Here is a pic of the engine bay. Thought I repair this before I sell the car. Been having a difficult time choosing to sell the T5 or the XC. They look so nice under shop lights in the garage and at work parking lot. Can't beat that Euro styling The truth is the more I fix every little thing.. the less I'm likely to sell it Still procrastinating... going on 3 months now while I drive both Volvos

Last edited by howardc64; 02-28-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

I'd keep the T5...nah, keep the XC...nah, the T5...ahhh too hard of a decision lol keep the one with more power! Case closed.

Anyway, the paint looks like it'll work. I don't really see why it wouldn't if you can paint a BBQ with it.
    2010 Fusion Sport | Tint 70/20 | LED Lighting | OE Aluminum Pedals | Steeda Strut Tie Bar | Intake Resonator Delete | Steeda Rear Sway Bar | ...
    2014 Expedition | 4x4 | Limited | Loaded | Stock
    2015 S60 T6 AWD R-Design Platinum w/ Polestar | Stock for now...

Howard - I know JRL has re-sprayed that same spot, likely for the same reason...though I forget the exact product (clearly heat-resistant...)...I would PM him...

As far as which car to keep? Oh...that's a tough one! I love the T5 for every day driving and long trips, the power, handling, fun...but the XC has a wider range of capability...and for that reason, if forced to choose, I would keep just the XC (but I might re-program the ECM for a bit more boost...).

Cheers,
    Astro
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

On the other hand, if you don't want to deal with future AWD issues, pick the T5. I like both as well but for my purpose, I'd pick the XC and chip the hell out of it to get at least T5 performance with the AWD versatility.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    Howard - I know JRL has re-sprayed that same spot, likely for the same reason...though I forget the exact product (clearly heat-resistant...)...I would PM him...
    Yes, read that recently as well. I'll PM JRL to see what product he used.

As for keeping XC or the T5, my procrastination so far is causing me to keep both And it doesn't cost very much to keep both. Car seems to be worth $5-$6k+ retail where I live (pricier than east coast for some reason). Given every worn item is repaired+replaced, the car should run really for the foreseeable future. Just not worth selling it. Insurance isn't very much if I eliminate comprehensive (doesn't seem worth it for this retail value + my 10 mile easy suburb commute to work). Older son is 13.5 yo so 2 more year before I can hand him a really safe first car Just wish I had a 3 car garage so I can garage all 3 cars.

And yes, T5 drives much better when not dealing with snow+ice on the ground. Its lower to the ground and hugs the road better and definitely love that higher boost turbo But the XC is so utilitarian Anyway, I'll keep on fixing it so I won't sell it But I'm running out of things to fix and worn items to replace!! haha
    Last edited by howardc64; 02-29-2012 at 11:05 AM.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by howardc64 View Post
    Yes, read that recently as well. I'll PM JRL to see what product he used.
    And yes, T5 drives much better when not dealing with snow+ice on the ground. Its lower to the ground and hugs the road better and definitely love that higher boost turbo But the XC is so utilitarian Anyway, I'll keep on fixing it so I won't sell it But I'm running out of things to fix and worn items to replace!! haha
    Howard,

I had a quite good laugh when reading this.
    This is exactly situation I am having: not too much stuff to work on, .
    So I ended up buying another car, issues loaded.

And thinking about kids, yes, you must feel much less worry putting them into a Volvo than anything else.

Enjoy them both.

Howard Z
    2003 XC70, Blue, 198KKm, FL bearing & DIM replaced, no other major issues yet.

It came off because critters love to eat the stuff!
    I used a flat black pebble finish undercoating (good for sound deadening)

Keep um both! One would make a great first car for your son! I'm in the same boat 2 Volvos and a 13yr old boy. I keepin both of mine.

Howard I think you really need to keep both of them! I remember when we talked a few months ago you weren't sure if you wanted to keep one. Sounds like now you just have to keep both!

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    It came off because critters love to eat the stuff!
    I think they use it for nest building, too.
    2007 Volvo XC70 | Silver / Black | Premium & Climate Packages, Steel Cargo Barrier, Cargo Cover, Trailer Hitch, Parrot Bluetooth, USA SPEC iPod Adapter, 4-Way Pioneer Door Speakers