Default 170K what other repairs should I look for?

I'm just over 170,000 miles on my 2004 XC70 (Thor) and am planning to keep it for as long as I can. I bought the car with just under 70k 4 years ago and since then have done most of the basics, but realize I have to be a little more proactive with the repairs; of course having a good full time job now, instead of being unemployeed also has a lot to do with the decision, lol. I would love to tighten up the suspension a bit and possibly tweek out a little more ummff out of the engine if possible without going crazy. Mostly I just want to take care of Thor as best as I can.

Since I bought the car I've done brakes a few times and timing belt at about 140k. Since December I've had a few large items repaired (Fuel Pump, Lower Control Arms, Rear brake pads, Nokian WRG2 235/60/16). Between the Dealer, the Indy shop and myself I've come up with the following list of things to do over the next few months. Are there any other items I should look at repairing/replacing at this mileage or age?

-VIDA Dice
    -Upper Engine Mount (need to check other mounts as well).
    -Power Steering Reservoir
    -Exhaust Hanger
    -Rear sway bar links
    -IPD Turbo Control Valve
    -Silicone Turbo hoses
    Thor - 2004 XC70 (225k and going strong!)
    Gunnar - 2013 C30 T5 - Traded in on...
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!

Yeah, I guess I'm a Volvo guy... ;-)

If you want Thor to last a long time, use a synthetic A3/B3 oil, flush the trans every 30K, flush the brake fluid every 2 years, change your filters on schedule and address small problems before they become big ones.

If you have not done the rear shocks and the front struts, do them, you'll see a big difference. While you do the front struts, replace the front control arm bushings and upper strut mounts. I would replace the balljoints at this age while you've got the control arms out, regardless of how they look...

If you haven't done the engine mounts, they're likely shot. My XC's mounts were cracked at 120K...the T5's were done at 105K...there are 5: front (by the intake piping), rear (by the angle gear), passenger side (by the crank pulley), upper and the trans torque mount. Upper and torque mount are easy to change. The others are more involved.

The TCV is a replacement part...if the old one is good, you won't see a performance increase...but at this age, who knows? The silicone hoses are also a replacement part...they're better than the OE rubber, but the OE rubber on my XC is still good...

If you want more grunt from the engine, do the IPD softloader - it raises the boost pressure limit - no difference to the engine during normal running, unless you get on the gas, in which case, it will run at higher boost pressure. There are no other big gains to be had. A performance exhaust will add a few HP, intake is debatable...but boost will make a big difference.
    Last edited by Astro14; 02-25-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Default Did you do the suggested repairs?

I'm considering a 190k car now, just wondering if you did the suspension and front-end work on your 170k car.

Default to do

I have an 01 XC and i need to replace the bushings in the front suspension. The struts can be issues and they are not hard to replace if needed. I took mine to Volvo for a check engine light. They went over the car and gave me a list of things it needed. Thankfully it wasnt much. Have you replaced the thermostat and flushed the cooling system?

Quote Originally Posted by brider View Post
    I'm considering a 190k car now, just wondering if you did the suspension and front-end work on your 170k car.
    I had my local Indy do the lower control arms, I thought about tackling it myself but not sure I'm up for all that, and he's not too expensive, so what the heck.

I just got the upper engine mount and lower trans torque mount, I'm literally going outside to do those now! Wish me luck!
    Thor - 2004 XC70 (225k and going strong!)
    Gunnar - 2013 C30 T5 - Traded in on...
    Ty - 2013 S60 R-Design!!

Yeah, I guess I'm a Volvo guy... ;-)