Default '99 V70XC Rough Idle

Heavy accelleration, CEL (MIL). Rough idle, runs poorly, under load, feels worse than a four cylinder engine! When decelerating, feels smooth / normal. Almost out of gas, tried to fill up, only took less than a gallon and fuel started spewing out of the filler and it won't take any more gas. Checked for codes, P0302 Cyl 2 misfire & P0453 Evap pressure high. My first thought, replace EVAP valve, not in stock at the dealer. The dealer won't have one until the Monday after this coming Monday unless I pay extra shipping. I'm sure I can order online and have it here before then and cheaper.

Is this what I need? Something else in addition to this / instead of this? Fueltank Pressure Valve / plug / coil / wire / other?

I am confused about the #2 misfire. I understand how a bad valve could cause some issues with the fuel system but not sure about the misfire. A bad plug / coil will not cause fuel to overflow out of the tank but a bad fueltank pressure valve or EVAP valve should not cause misfire.

Ideas? Thanks!

I forgot to mention, sometimes the Check Engine Light flashes but usually it just stays on steady all the time. Also, it smells like sulfur / rotten eggs.

Sounds like a coil took a crap but rotten eggs would beyour cat converter.
    Perhaps it collapsed inside which could be the cause of all your issues

I think a bad coil cause misfires, thus letting unburned fuel thru the cat. When you let this happen for long, it will kit the cat and cause rotten eggs smell.

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils

Could be either or both

Upon inspecting the plugs that I had never touched before, they were Autolite double platinum or some such nonsense. Gapped to something like .044. I also swapped the #2 coil around and am pretty confident I had bad plugs AND a bad coil on #2. I installed Volvo OEM plugs and replaced the #2 coil with a used one from a '01 S80 and it starts, idles and drives great! The sulfur odor went away with the bad plugs / misfire condition.

Then I went to get gas. No joy :-( Still will not take gas. I tried removing both hoses from the EVAP valve but still would not take gas. Reconnected the hoses to the EVAP valve, started the engine, then it would accept gas while idling, weird. I have no idea about this one. I did read where someone else with the same issue resolved it by replacing the EVAP valve but I don't understand how this can keep the tank from filling, especially if the valve is disconnected and not blocking the hose which I assume is the vent from the tank.

After getting some gas on 2/17 I drove 'till empty (a few days) then let it sit for over a week. On 3/11, and without doing anything else to it, I was able to fill it up as "usual." In other words, it took gas fine. I have no idea what was up. I mean, maybe the canister had gas in it which evaporated and solved the problem. I would still wonder how that happened from a sudden stomp on the gas when the tank was nearly empty but no matter now as long as the problem does not re-occur.

I really don't drive this car hard. In fact, since buying it last June, that was the first time I "floored it." Now I am kinda' scared of what else might happen if I really step on it. I guess I am getting old. I don't drive like I used to. In high school, man I had the pedal of whatever I was driving through the floor! of course that was usually underpowered early '80s American four bangers like the '82 Olds' Cutlass Ciera with a 2.5 L Tech IV "Iron Duke" with a whopping 92 hp on a good day. My '65 VW Karmann Ghia with a 1300cc 40HP engine was snappier but probabaly weighed half as much as the Olds'. Ah, the 80s, the good 'ol days. Except for American cars, ugh!