Question Heater seat (driver side)

Hello all,
    2001 v70xc drivers heated seat not working (passenger works fine)

I've been trying to diagnose our drivers side heated seat (knew it didn't work when we purchased a few months back). I've read many of the other threads about heated seat repairs. As such I expect it is the element(s) that may be broken, but am having trouble diagnosing as such.

I believe i've found the connector where the two elements and sensor connect (picture attached). By my estimation, the grey3 pin connector should be the sensor, and the two 2-pin connectors (grey and orange). I expected that I could check for continuity along the two pin connectors to see if the element is broken, then determine which of the grey or orange belongs to the seat and backrest elements.

However, when i check across both, i do not get any continuity. I've also read there is a relay embeded in the seat near the back, but can't seem to find it to check if that is the issue (and maybe why the element continuity test seems to fail on both connectors). While looking into all of these things i had removed the front two seat bolts and loosened the rear two bolts.

Would someone be able to help me in locating the relay location in the rear part of the seat? I am also wondering the method for removing the leather seat cover to access the element and figure out what the problem part actually is.

Thanks in advance,
    David

Is anyone able to provide any guidance on determining the broken component for the heated seat?
    I was out trying to diagnose the problem and doing similar readings to check the passenger side which is still working. I didn't get any different reading, and then made a silly mistake. I thought i would check the voltages coming out of the connectors by turning on the ignition and passenger heated seat.

A short lapse of judgement, and now i have an SRS warning light.
    Well, at least the weather is above freezing, so not having the drivers heated seat isn't such a big deal at the moment.

Thanks,
    David

if you disconnect the electrical connectors to the seats without disconnecting the battery, this will throw the SRS light on.

You'll need the dealer or shop with vida/dice to turn it off.
    John, '01 V70 T5
    '04 V70 2.5T

Yeah, i figured from the many threads mentioning SRS lights that I'll need to go to the dealer for the SRS light.
    I imagine you likely don't have need for the heated seats much down in Florida.

I still hold out hope that someone else has some insight into how to access the heated seat elements and/or the other components that likely have broken.
    My diagnosis skills are still in their infancy.

The seat heater elements are bonded to the foam and are immediately under the leather seat covers. There is one for the seat and one for the lower back.

If the heater pads go bad, VIDA references that there may be codes stored. Also, the VIDA troubleshooting is basically: check for codes, check connectors, if still not working, replace heater pad.

Since you need to go to the dealer for the SRS light, have them check for codes on the seat heaters at the same time.

Alternatively, you can get your own VIDA/DICE setup for about $200 USD, which is worth it, for your own troubleshooting. Also, you can reset the SRS light yourself instead of give the dealer $100 ish to do it.

DO NOT mess with the ORANGE connector. Do not attempt to take resistance or voltage measurements. This connector is for the side AIR BAG.

The more i find out the more i begin to think the $200 for a diagnostic setup makes sense. (it seems i may have need for it more often than i think, and would also be helpful for future diagnosis) However, I also think i still have the stop-neutral function in the transmission, which I understand can only be done by the dealer anyways.
    I may end up holding out on the SRS reset untilthe car goes to the dealer to get the stop-neutral fix . I should probably just call them and ask how much to fix the heated seat at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by shanxk8 View Post
    The more i find out the more i begin to think the $200 for a diagnostic setup makes sense. (it seems i may have need for it more often than i think, and would also be helpful for future diagnosis) However, I also think i still have the stop-neutral function in the transmission, which I understand can only be done by the dealer anyways.
    I may end up holding out on the SRS reset untilthe car goes to the dealer to get the stop-neutral fix . I should probably just call them and ask how much to fix the heated seat at the same time.
    If you go for other service, the SRS reset will be less (or free) because they already have it hooked up. I'd have them check all three things at the same time for maximum savings.

The $100 for the SRS reset, is the min 1hr labor they charge to hook the car up to VIDA and do the fiddling about.

Well, I finally had the car in for service. Oil change, tranny delete stop-neutral and a quote for repairing the heated seat (& they did reset my SRS light for "free")
    So i guess that balances out paying for diagnosing the heated seat.

WoW!! i am amazed at how much difference the transmission re-programming has made. Very much worth the price, our Volvo drives like a new car. :-)
    The quote for the heated seat, not so nice to look at. I think i'd prefer to figure out how to get that seat cover off & fight with it myself.